Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i havent done enough research to find out if they would bolt up the same so if anyone knows or finds out before me post it here.

my plan. find a wrecked automatic 2.2 chevy hhr and buy the tranny to swap into my 2.2 cobalt

price isnt an issue, you could find one cheap enough. but i dont know if they would bolt up indentical.

back to the plan. heres why. the automatic 2.2 hhr's came with a final drive ratio of 3.91 for the extra weight and towing. the automatic 2.2 cobalts are 3.63 to get the best fuel economy. so considering im not worried about the loss of fuel economy, what are some thoughts from you guys?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i dont see why they wouldnt just bolt right up. only issue is....... your electrical. the computer in the cobalt will want to shift it like the tranny from the balt, so you'll need the transmission computer from the HHR as well. Then the computer will make most efficient use of the "upgraded" transmission.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yeah I'd suggest maybe getting on the HHR forums and asking about this also. I don't see why they would not physically bolt up..

·
Registered
750 Posts
How much is to gain by swapping the transmission to the higher ratio?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The auto equipped SS/NA and Sport models (2.4L) use the 3.91:1 final ratio too. The tranny's are the same except for the differential gears (3.05:1 in 2.2 cars and 3.29:1 in 2.4 cars; the 3.63:1 and 3.91:1 ratios are achieved by the difference in the driving and driven gears of the chain drive).

Fit yes...TCM would have to be tuned because the tranny's input and output speed sensors wouldn't be correct.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
so thus, i was correct. I know for certain that the ecotecs found in the HHR is EXACTLY the same set-up as found in the cobalt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.