Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive done some searching and cant seem to find an answer besides buy a short throw...

are there any shift knobs that are threaded for a 2.2L manual? i know the shifter itself isnt threaded, and i would have to do that myself, but i just dont want to spend any more money on universal ones that loosen after time.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Short answer no. If you plan to thread the stock shifter go buy a knob you like with relatively similar dimensions and thread the handle. OOOORRRRR...... you could buy a cosmos short throw for $100 and call it a day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theyre only 75 bucks on cosmo's website. thats not too bad. maybe one day in the future lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
is there any other type of short throw shifter that is good for the 2.2?
really interested in it but i want to find one with a different type of shifter knob

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'd personally get the BPS short shifter.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've got an aluminum knob from my 2.4SS still after all this time sitting in my room, it's press fit but I didn't have any issues with it... if I can find it you can have it, just paypal me the shipping.. and $2 for a coffee :p

and in my car

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I had the TWM shifter. I liked it much more than the Cosmos, but Banker would disagree with me. It is a lot more expensive though.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I don't like my TWM too much because it has so much play in each gear. The BPS is the only one that will accept aftermarket or the stock shifter. Look at their shift knobs for other options and it'll still be about $50 cheaper than the TWM after buying a shift knob too.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Where the shifter moves to the left and right a good half inch in each direction when in gear.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I know exactly where the play is, not in the lines but the ball on the TWM isn't large enough and moves around without moving the cables. I could probably fix it by adding thin pieces of plastic around the shifter but for how much it is I don't think you should have to do that for it to work perfectly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Andrewcarr I had the same issue with my ebay cavi sts. I thought it was just the get what you pay cor thing. Lol. I just wrapped the top of the cup with some safety wire to tighten it up and its all good. There anyway. I still have some side to side play, but its either cable adjustment or something under the hood.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I've got a TWM STS, and the side-to-side play is there too. You'd think every gear was neutral lol. It doesn't really bother me though.

One thing that did bother me was that the TWM features a straight shifter bar, while the stock has a slight angle in it. The issue is that with the aftermarket one, 1st, 3rd and 5th gears are much closer to the center console that I actually had to advance my seat to compensate. Also, don't place anything in the cupholders because you'd only punch it when shifting. Wasted alot of good coffee that way.

Besides that, I'm happy with my TWM.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Also, could never get the TWM logo centered the way I wanted it on the knob itself. Again, I'm just nitpicking. Super minor issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.