Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about modifying my intake so I could bolt on a bigger throttle body. Has any one done this yet? If so, did it help?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What engine do you have? 2.4 TB fits on a 2.2 but it won't work without tuning or computer know-how. I tried it on my 06 2.2 and got the dreaded "limp mode". it would idle but as soon as you gave it some gas -- no go!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 2.2 engine, but I have the 2.4 intake on it. How much bigger is the 2.4 thottle body than the 2.2? Is it close to the size of the thottle body off of a 2.0 supercharger?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know where I could find a 2.4 thottle botty? All I can find is for the 2.2 and 2.0.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Do you know where I could find a 2.4 thottle botty? All I can find is for the 2.2 and 2.0.
try the local scrap yard:cool:

idk, maybe ebay may help

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ebay is where I do most of my shopping. There is very little for the 2.4. Thanks anyway. I will keep looking. I do have one off of a 2.0.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would you be willing to sell your spare?

·
Registered
575 Posts
i just don't see the point in this. A larger TB would mean more air into the engine because of FI from the turbo/supercharger but with just an intake, wouldn't the intake charge be weaker because it would be less compressed as it comes in through the intake manifold? Meaning a larger throttle body would mean a less compressed intake charge and a loss in low end torque? This is the same thing as the 2.4 mani swap. It's only good if you are gonna go FI or get an exaust to go along with it if you stay N/A. I'm going FI so thats why I have the 2.4 mani. I notice a harder pull at higher RPMs but there is some loss in low end torque which we need.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There has to be some advantage of a bigger TB. They make them for other engines, and say they produce more power. I am in the process of installing a T3/T4 turbo. So, the more air flow the better.

·
Registered
575 Posts
if you read my post I just said if you are going FI it makes sense. Without FI it makes no sense because the air charge is less dense just like installing a 2.4L mani on a 2.2L creates a less dense air charge because of the larger runners. Yes, you get MORE air but it's less compressed so as more and more air is pushed in, it does produce more power but at higher RPMS. Just like anything air related, its pushing your powerband up.

As for other cars (CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG), small block v8s like the LT1 and LS-series can benefit from a larger throttle body because they produce 300+ lbs. of torque at peak RPMs. Their powerband shifts up as well, but their gains are far more efficient because we produce very little torqu at low RPMs while the V8's produce far more. We then lose low end torque by a less dense intake charge. It doesn't matter, I would just have my TB bored out in a shop because the sensors don't match.

What are u using for tuning, the AEM unit? SCT? You have an 06 so u are alright for the alpha kit from garrett.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
how exactly would you modify your intake ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I planned on getting the AEM unit. I fabricated my own turbo kit. I couldn't see paying $2,000 on just a header and turbo. Specially when you can get a new turbo for less than $400. That means you are paying $1500 for a header.

GTXSport added 4 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Basically, I will make an adpter plate so I can bolt the bigger TB on. The opening on the 2.4 intake is much bigger than the stock 2.2 TB.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yes this is true...but have fun doing all the wiring

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It shouldn't be that bad. I am using a TB off of a SS/SC. It has the same plug.

GTXSport added 3 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Does the AEM unit work like they say it does? Is it worth the money. How easy is it to wire up?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
if i were to do the Forced Induction route i would go with the AEM system for sure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How easy is it to tune?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, what the AEM unit does is it intercepts the signal from the computer to the injectors and allows the user to change the injector pulse or how much fuel is delivered to stock injectors. I would personally upgrade my injectors as well tho. I have heard it is pretty user friendly I would still have my car dynoed with someone with experience with the unit.

Theres also wayyyy more that goes into a turbo build than just a turbo and manifold. The reason it is wise to buy a kit is that the kit will not have issues,. It is tested and you are paying for reliability and quality. not saying your system will have problems but custom builds have custom problems.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.