Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a few issues with my car and i think they may be related but im not sure how.

1. When i go over a bump or back out of a driveway there is a loud thunk sound that comes from the front end

2. If i move the steerign wheel when i am not moving there is some play in it and it makes a similar thunk sound

3. When im on the hiway my car pulls to the right and left randomly

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im nowhere near an expert so I may be wrong, but with the thunk sound and the car pulling to the left and right randomly it could be a severly worn control arm bushing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am having a few issues with my car and i think they may be related but im not sure how.

1. When i go over a bump or back out of a driveway there is a loud thunk sound that comes from the front end

2. If i move the steerign wheel when i am not moving there is some play in it and it makes a similar thunk sound

3. When im on the hiway my car pulls to the right and left randomly

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Sounds like a steering column. Im pretty sure theres a service bulliten from chevrolet. go to the dealership and check it out. and the 3rd one sounds like you could have a bad alignment? do you feel anything in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like it could be a possibility. Gonna take her to the dealer on monday. I just got my alignment checked a couple months ago and it was fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to replace a bad front strut to pass inspection just a few months ago (2008 e). The car would pull slightly to the right, had some vibration and thunk sounds. So when I got ding'd for struts I was not surprised. Cha-ching !! because it was not a warranty item. I was surprised that struts would fail after only 36,000 miles, but I am not the primary driver.

·
Registered
127 Posts
well im on my 4th steering column, 3rd steering shaft, 2nd steering pump & motor, plus 2nd pair of struts in the rear, and i only have 25,000 miles on her...

all of these repairs were done directly after taking my piece of sh!t cobalt to the dealership because i kept hearing the same sounds u have at the same times too. every time its a different failed part than the last. in the next few days i will be taking her back again for similar repairs because im hearing the noise and feeling the clunk yet again. its only been a few thousand miles since my last front end issue and i am f'ing sick of it...

does anyone wanna buy my car plz ?!?!?!?

·
Registered
674 Posts
well im on my 4th steering column, 3rd steering shaft, 2nd steering pump & motor, plus 2nd pair of struts in the rear, and i only have 25,000 miles on her...

all of these repairs were done directly after taking my piece of sh!t cobalt to the dealership because i kept hearing the same sounds u have at the same times too. every time its a different failed part than the last. in the next few days i will be taking her back again for similar repairs because im hearing the noise and feeling the clunk yet again. its only been a few thousand miles since my last front end issue and i am f'ing sick of it...

does anyone wanna buy my car plz ?!?!?!?
first off, we don't have steering pumps... just the motor, and second, no struts in the rear, just shocks, and springs, shocks are separate from the springs, we do have struts up front

Third, the clunk is either something in the steering, but most likely worn bushings on the control arms where it meats the K-frame. Change those out to poly bushings and then report back.

·
Registered
127 Posts
they told me they replaced the rear struts & the steering "pump/motor", even says so on the invoice. but i do know that they employ the mentally handicapped at my local chevy dealership...

and everytime they "fix" the problem, it does go away for a bit and drives a bit better, but about every 5k it goes in again for somethin new. shoulda bought that mazda 3, o well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's not all the time but I've heard it about 3 times on 3 different occasions...the "thunk" that is. All 3 times it's been when I'm either backing into a parking as I'm turning the wheel or moving out of a parking as I'm turning the wheel. It seems to bee coming from the right side...I'm not liking it too much. :-/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.