Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 ls is making a ticking noise, is this normal? Is it just the valves? I tried to take an audio clip but there was just to much other noise for the ticking to be decipherable. I am always paranoid that there is something wrong with my car :S.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Does it do it while running or when stopped or both? I have the same problem. I figured out the it was the exhaust expanding and contracting when car was on and off. Check underneath your car to see where the ticking is coming from.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Does it do it while running or when stopped or both? I have the same problem. I figured out the it was the exhaust expanding and contracting when car was on and off. Check underneath your car to see where the ticking is coming from.
I've had that ticking since the car came off the dealer lot.. I think its normal.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I figured out the it was the exhaust expanding and contracting when car was on and off. Check underneath your car to see where the ticking is coming from.
Every car does that (at least when it's off).

I have never seen a car that did not make that noise when cooling off.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it...if it goes away after you added it...then you've got valvetrain tick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah the imfomouse 2.2 valve tic, all 4 2.2 s-10's I had did it and my ex's sunfire did it while running. My Balt only has 4,000 on it so it's not making any noise yet.
uh.... IDK if you've ever actually LOOKED at that 2.2 compared to the L61 2.2, but it is a completely different engine.

the LN2 is an 8 valve pushrod engine with an iron block, aluminum head and makes 115hp and 135tq.

the L61 is a 16 valve DOHC engine all aluminum, makes 140hp and 145tq (145hp and 150tq in the cobalt)

they have absolutely nothing in common other than similar displacements and they share a common platform... the Jbody.

the ecotec was never used in the S truck...

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
uh.... IDK if you've ever actually LOOKED at that 2.2 compared to the L61 2.2, but it is a completely different engine.

the LN2 is an 8 valve pushrod engine with an iron block, aluminum head and makes 115hp and 135tq.

the L61 is a 16 valve DOHC engine all aluminum, makes 140hp and 145tq (145hp and 150tq in the cobalt)

they have absolutely nothing in common other than similar displacements and they share a common platform... the Jbody.

the ecotec was never used in the S truck...
I'm well aware of the difference, but the way I wrote my post I can see why you replied to mine. I was just making a general statement that every 2.2 I have ever owned had the tic. I should have explained myself better but I just woke up and first post of the day. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
08 is direct injected. it's gonna tick from the cam driven fuel pump.
08 LS is just a 2.2...there is no Direct Injection there it isn't an SSTC car

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the tick u are talking about and my timing chain adjuster wore some markings on my engine block and i got a new engine from chevy under warranty so if I were you id take it into the shop and hopefully get a new engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.