Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm replacing my timing chain and tensioner and can't find a diagram for getting the timing marks set for the intake and exhaust marks. Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Coby has diagrams for everything, PM him

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm about ready to order the tensioner and in have two questions.

Do i need to remove the valve cover or can i just take it out from the rear? I have read many contradicting threads on here and .net

Can someone please paste a link for the newer style? I don't want to buy the wrong one...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it has the bump on the head bolt it is the revised version, also the plunger is held in place with a C clip on the new one.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just received my new timing chain tensioner in the mail, can't wait to install it to see if it solves the initial start-up noise. The one on the right is the new one.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Okay, in my case the tensioner replacement seems to have solved my morning start-up noise where you hear the timing chain rattle ,for a few seconds, until the oil pump primes the tensioner. Absolutely no rattle 3 mornings in a row.

Not saying it will solve everybodies similar symptom but for $50, this is a good preventative maintnance.

Acdelco 12608580 Tensioner | eBay

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
I think that's the rattle I get? On cold starts I actually posted a video here from YouTube, let me know if it's this noise

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Link has no reference.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
woops sorry, updated link.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That is exactly the sound mine did before I changed the tensioner, maybe not as bad. Check if the head of the tesioner bolt has a bump on it to make sure you still have the first style or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I just put mine in, my daughter is leaving tomorrow with the Cobalt for 2 months, so it better hold-up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.