Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Hoping you can help a non-mechanically inclined guy make a better decision.

First I have 97,000 miles on my Cobalt. It has the 2.2L engine.

When I had the car in to get oil change and check on a rough idle the timing chain broke. They quoted me $1,200 to do this work. Last week they ran a compression test and told me the motor would potentially have to be replaced.

This week they were able to bore snake the valves and see that the exhaust valves could be resurfaced/replaced and replace the head gasket. Fixing this and timing chain will get me running again. Total cost is $2600. This fix will give me another 70-90,000 miles.

My question is does this sound reasonable to you guys and will this keep my car on the road for another 50-90,000 miles? Either way it needs to be done, IMO, otherwise I have a car worth nothing, but do I fix and replace immediately or fix and keep it for another 5 years?

Thanks for you suggestions and replies. FWIW, the tensioner broke causing the timing chain failure.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Seems a bit high to me. If the compression's bad, usually you can replace whatever's messing up the compression (valve, piston ring, etc.) instead of replacing the entire engine. If for some reason you do need to replace the whole engine, the engine itself shouldn't cost more than $800ish.

Maybe some of the other guys can shed some more light on your situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, for the reply.

Just to clarify:
Timing chain replacement and kit: $1,200
Replace Head gasket cylinder and Head Gasket Set: $800
Resurface or replace exhaust valves: $700

All this plus oil change and performance diagnosis ($100) comes out to about $2,600 after a 5% discount.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's a gamble either way, repair the damage for $2600 or swap the engine and risk the same thing happening again. The revised tensioner is a lot better and will not fail like yours did. I tell everyone with these Cobalt as preventative maintenance replace the timing chain tensioner if it's the original without the bump on the head.

Reactions: Parthros

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Coby7, for the reply!

A question I've also been thinking about is this the beginning of repair after repair on the car now that I'm approaching 100,000 miles. Do you have any thoughts on this? If this is the first of many than putting this money into a different car might be better? Any comments on preventative maintenance I should be doing at this point in the life of my cobalt?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sorry meant doesn't but you probably realised that when you saw the price. You can also get a kit that includes the head gasket and water pump for like $50 more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Coby7, could you point me to link with that you're referring to? I'd like to be able to show them that they're quoting me more.

Also, the $2,600 figure includes about $1,300 of labor while parts are about $1,300.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just look it up on until you find what exactly you need or want. I really don't know what your engine needs and wouldn't want to be responsible for any wrong pointers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.