Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Cobalt is about to hit the 100,000 mile mark on it's 2.2L motor. I've read a lot about the timing chain needing to be replaced about now. My question, can I change out the tennsioner and not change out the chain? Or is it best to go ahead and change both out with this many miles? I understand there is an updated tennsioner that should replace the existing one. Apologies if this has been asked already. I couldn't find anything to answer this question..

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I misread the question
Coby to change the tensioner you still have to pull of the valve cover to release the tensioner right?

Not sure if there were any tricks to get around that. I don't know of any.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes, that is the safest way, eventhough some people have done it without it. The tensioner releases the minute the chain rattles around on the guide, but I don't think I would chance it on a 100K miles car. Removing and re-installing the valve cover is easy enough. That's the way I did mine, it took all of 20 minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not getting any noise yet, so I'm hoping I can save this for some warmer weather... Just doing my homework before I get into it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is just me, but if you're going through the work of changing timing chain tensioners, why not take time to also complete required maint. (chain/belt & water pump)? Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid, but 100K service in my mind is one of the important motor milestones and timing chain/belt failure is catastrophic results so I say peace of mind's worth a little extra time. Am I wrong...??

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can change the tensioner in 30 mins, the t-chain/balance shaft chain /wp will take you 5+ hrs and cost a bit more..
Sometimes if it isn't broke I don't fix it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe I haven't talked to the right people, but I've never heard of a timing chain failing. Belts are another matter, but I've known people with GM vehicles with 200,000 to 500,000 miles who've never touched the chain and it's still working just fine when the vehicle goes to the junk yard.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Timing chains won't break but they can stretch to the point where the tensionner can,T keep it tight and it will jump timing. Yes, some last a long time if you do regular oil changes and keep it topped up. But I read some horror stories on here. Just do a little search about timing chain and you will see quite a few. I've been on this forum for about 2½ years and at least a dozen have reported timing chain failures.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maybe I haven't talked to the right people, but I've never heard of a timing chain failing. Belts are another matter, but I've known people with GM vehicles with 200,000 to 500,000 miles who've never touched the chain and it's still working just fine when the vehicle goes to the junk yard.
My Dodge D50 timing chain jumped and the motor literally grenaded inside...sold it for scrap. Guess, in my case, it didn't snap/break, but jumping the teeth was probably as bad, or worse than belt snap.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah, and the Ecotec is an interference motor so you don't want timing to jump more than one tooth because at 2 it will self destruct. I think changing the tensionner is a good preventative maintenance especially if he still has the first design. Revised version on the right is a much better design.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Oh my...when spring comes I think I'm going to get that new design tensioner. Stop that morning rattle

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If yours is rattling in the morning this is the cure. Mine hasn't made one little noise since. Remember the longer you wait the more you are beating the chain guides.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
True. I don't know maybe I'll do it sooner.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
i definitely have to do it, morning rattles bring chills down my spine

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My guides look like new but I'm still displeased with the noise

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, and the Ecotec is an interference motor so you don't want timing to jump more than one tooth because at 2 it will self destruct. I think changing the tensionner is a good preventative maintenance especially if he still has the first design. Revised version on the right is a much better design.

Any idea what year they redesigned it??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The engine manufacturing plant kept installing the old design even after the revised version came out in 2008, so you may have a 2010 still with the old tensionner. To verify just check for a bump in the middle of the 32mm head bolt. If your head is perfectly flat like this one you have the first design and probably hear rattling upon first startup if it's been sitting for a while.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Any idea what year they redesigned it??
I checked my 2010 Cobalt today, it has the original tensionner and is the revised version. My 2007 didn't have the new version so maybe we can narrow it down a bit. Easy to check, just feel for a bump in the middle of the 32mm head.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.