Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing tensioner is going bad. After I replaced it last year. I was wondering when replacing a timing tensioner this time should I just go ahead and buy the timing kit or just buy the tensioner?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What are your symptoms?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a metal sound like the timing chain is losse and hitting something in the motor.. Its only coming from the timing area of the motor. I had the tensioner replaced a year ago for today.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you already changed the timing tensioner it may be the water pump / balance shaft chain that you're hearing. This also has a tensioner that could need to be replaced. Getting to it takes a lot more work than timing chain tensioner. I wrote a how to a while back on how to do this

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No powertrain warranty?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah that's a bit pricey but I think when they tear it down they replace everything, guides, idler,tensioners and chains. They can't take the chance that something else that's about ready to go, will, with the 90 days warranty they give with the job. So they cover their gluteus maximus. I think if you're going to have it apart might as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.