Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 LS and when I first purchased it the Chevy dealer put on window tint. The two door windows and the small passenger windows are fine, but I'm having issues with the rear window. At the top of my rear window the tint has always bubbled a little bit. It's because of the black dot pattern on the upper area of the window. Anyways, I had the guy redo the tint multiple times and it just never laid smooth on the window. My question is, is it the skill of the guy that's at fault, or do you guys have the same problem? If you have the same issue, I was thinking about removing the tint on my rear window only. Do you think that would look okay, or should I find someone that can tint over this properly?

Also, I have a friend that removed the black tape that's between the two windows on each side of the car. I heard there is paint under there but I just want to be sure before I peel it off. Des that look good or should I just leave the tape there?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site!

The bubbling in the dot matrix is normal..Mine has been like that since day 1. I took it back to the dealer and they told me it is impossible to get it to seal up in there, so they usually use some sort of gel stuff so it doesn't actually get any worse. Its not really noticeable. (i honestly forgot until you mentioned it.) Just leave it how it is IMO

As for the pillar vinyl, some people remove it, most don't. It gives the windows a sleeker look IMO. Scagnetti has removed his. I'm sure he'll post pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my tint was cut just below the dot matrix and a black piece vinyl was put over the dot matrix on the inside of the back window. the back window is tinted 5%. it was done about a year and an half ago. no problems still looks great !

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Welcome!! I've hard of that with the dots before and is a concern of mine too for when I go to get mine done. As for the black vinyl I say leave it, it compliments the lines of the car, that is why it's there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This problem is not unique to your car, it's happens with alot of cars with the dot matrix. Not really the tinters fault, however some tinters are better at dealing with it than others. Some glue it, some vinyl it, some paint it, some cut off the tint and leave a huge gap, and the really good one's get it to stick without issues. Check out TintDude.com - Window Tinting for more info on this, and if it looks half decent just deal with it, not worth the aggrevation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks A LOT for your replies guys. For the tint, I seriously have OCD issues especially when it's with my car. Having that awkward looking tint job on the back window would just drive me up the wall. I liked the idea of tinting the lower half and black vinyl over the defrosters, I'll look into it!

The window tape, I'm kind of 50/50 on. Hopefully that Scagnetti character posts pictures of his car because I'd really like to see it and make a decisio for myself. But yeah, it looks like the majority just leave it on.

Thanks for the help so far.

; )

·
Registered
42 Posts
For my car i had the guy cut the tint right under the black dots. it looks ok im happy about it.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
As for the pillar vinyl, some people remove it, most don't. It gives the windows a sleeker look IMO. Scagnetti has removed his. I'm sure he'll post pics.
welcome to the site.
:blink1: heres what mine looks like. i think it looks good on some colors, not so good on others. but its up to you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
when mine was done i did not have that problem tint looks great i think its 15 percent all the way around no bubbles as of yet

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pictures Scagnetti. My car is white, and I'll probably paint it black in the future so I'm thinking I'll just leave the tape on. It looks great on yellow though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.