Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered some precut window tint film on ebay and gave it a shot. The first one (drivers side) i screwed up on big time. The piece ripped when removing the excess tint around the window outline. Thought I could get away without it being noticable when it was installed, and it just looked like a hair under it (only an inch long in the corner...not bad...). Problem came when squeegeeing out the water under it. It caught the one side and ripped open :amazed:
It couldnt be saved so I ripped the piece off.

I did the passenger side today and it didnt turn out bad at all. The piece tore in the exact same spot (bad cutting on the sellers part), but I managed to save the install. I'll be replacing this piece when I order a new set of film to do the drivers side.

Total cost would have been $20 for the film + application solution + shipping, but it will be $35 since I have to reorder the film. All in all, not a very difficult mod to do if you have patience. I'd rank it about 7 out of 10 in difficulty only because it require lots of patience. Plus I saved about $80 from getting it done in a shop locally.

I'll get some pics tomorrow that shows the tinted window vs the untinted window.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I helped a buddy do his s10. It was pretty difficult to make sure everything was right before it got tacky but that's why we used a lot of soapy water spray!

·
Registered
547 Posts
shit only thing i tinted was my taillights (taillights were tint overlays) and i even messed that up a little hard to notice tho i leave it to the professionals good job tho man cause i wouldnt of even attempted it pics or it didnt happen :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think 70% is the legal max here...these are 35% so we'll see how it goes. I see guys around town with 5% all around so I doubt anything will be said, but if I'm told to take it off, at least its a cheap project.
*Note* My rear windows are at 5% for comparison

Drivers side is untinted, passenger @ 35%

No tint

35%

The Rip :mad:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it wasnt for that rip and about 6 tiny tiny pieces of dust behind it, it would be perfect...oh, well. the new ones are on their way already

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same here. It's pretty tedious. I'd rather shell out 150.00 and have the whole car done and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
that looks really good, and ya know ive seen plenty of these cobalt pre cut tint kits for cheap and now i think i will give it a shot. i make zagg invisible shields my bitch so this will be a large scale version of that lol

thanks for making this thread and giving me inspiration man

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used a precut for my wife's PT Cruiser simply because I couldnt articulate spending $200 for a tint job when I hardly drive it.

I put 15% all around and have noticed some fading. It is now about 35% which I guess is alright. You can definetly tell the fading when the windows roll down.

I need to post a picture of my tint job I did on my car. I ordered LLumar which set me back a few bucks, but I have 5% and looks professional.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments guys. First attempt at tinting and I was very surprised how well it turned out.
This film is double laminated and UV protected so there shouldn't be any fading or dimming (7 year warranty actually).

i love the de-badgeing and re-badgeing of the bowtie and the "cobalt" letters GOOD idea.
Thanks :) Seems like not many people notice, or they just dont say anything. Just a little something to keep it unique

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys. First attempt at tinting and I was very surprised how well it turned out.
This film is double laminated and UV protected so there shouldn't be any fading or dimming (7 year warranty actually).

Thanks :) Seems like not many people notice, or they just dont say anything. Just a little something to keep it unique
If you can, could you PM me his seller name?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
northerntint.com
theyve got great how-to videos on the site as well that make it go way easier.

They are also on ebay, but the selection is very limited

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Same here. It's pretty tedious. I'd rather shell out 150.00 and have the whole car done and not have to worry about it.
I wish it was $150 for the whole car! My rear 3 windows costs $260 alone. They said they could do the front ones as well for another $100, or $150 on their own!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.