Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv been looking for tinted tail lights but i cant find them anywhere expect in a package is there anywhere out there that sells them by them selves?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've seen just tail lights, or packages. Not the reverse lights on the trunk.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They might not match....a new set will look better, and leaving the reverse untinted can be hard to get perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
If you want them untinted just mask them off and use nightshades. I did mine. I can post a picture for you later if you want. If you want reverse tinted then just spray the whole thing. It's fairly simple if you can spray evenly. Take them out if you do it so you don't get any on your paint.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

If you do want the reverse lights left untinted, take your time masking off

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Check with your state's laws regarding tinting of tail lamps before slapping them on there, then getting a citation later. Most people if none are available, use Nightshades, but don't go spray crazy, you need to first wetsand to get the initial grime off the tails. Then apply the VHT nightshades lightly.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
3 coats of VHT is perfect.
Anymore than that is too dark.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's not hard to do them yourself and look really good.
As long as you can see them from 1000 feet.. You're in regs.
1000 isn't that far

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
or spend 30 bucks and do it yourself
true, but over a $255 ticket? ($30 fine, 225 court cost)...nope. Then again, you would have to be doing something incredibly stupid in front of a cop, like not wear a seatbelt, or not hit your turn signal, etc.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Then why even tint your tails if you don't accept the risk?
I run with 2.5% tint all around my car and haven't got pulled over for it.
My wife got a speeding ticket with the tint on the car and didnt get a tint ticket.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You do risk anything far as to modifying it from OEM standards, heck even changing oil...You can run the tint risk at your own, but your gonna poop some bricks when Highway Patrol decide to perform a random DOT inspection and cough up money fixing the stuff you put on the car.

Not trying to bash on you sir, we all take risks :) Heck, my exhaust manifold isn't DOT approved, but I chance it everytime my car goes vroom.

Nor am I pointing fingers at what you should do, but my friends that graduated UTi/or that work as foremans at dealerships, end up fixing tuner mistakes for bolting on stuff that wont increase anything except noise :p

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Tinted tails or tinted windows isn't anything to do with tuner..
Which is what I thought we were talkin about.
And when my inspection isn't up to date, DOT can't do shit.
I'm a resident on AK, and I live permentatly in Texas.
I have Alaska plates, registration, drivers license and state ID.
I drive from off base to on base ( where cops patrol the gates and check ID's for the people to get on base ) and no one says anything.
I guess all it takes is one dickhead cop having a bad day.
I haven't come upon a DOT inspection in 4 years.. I'm not really worried about it
But I get your point.
Spend 30 bucks, do a light spray, and not be illegal rather than spend 250 bucks on new tails.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

What is a DOT inspection?
By the way lol.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I have my tails tinted fairly dark, but still visible. I left my third brake light alone though, just jn case. I had a cop behind me today for a while and he didnt do anything. I actually talked to a cop about it and he said "depends on who you get" as far as a ticket or anything. I THINK that you have to do something stupid for him to pull you over for it though. drive like a regular human being(at least where cops are) and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
yeah, I got sidetracked sir and apologize for that, far as a random DOT inspection, it will be conducted by a state trooper and a representative from DOT. They will pull over a certain amount of vehicles per year and you wont be at an inspection place, it will be on the highway (most likely). It is almost unheard, but it is conducted randomly...I would think your car would have to look hideous and sound horrible passing by HP during a speed check.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i don't have to get an inspection every year though.
( you do if you're a resident of texas )
but i am a resident of alaska,
so different rules apply to me..
Don't have to get inspections,
as far as they know, i can have dark tint on my car
don't have to worry about no emission's standards
Just as long as i keep my car registered in AK.
When my wife got pulled over they asked where my inspection sticker was, and i looked at the cop like he was a f***in idiot.

---------- Post added at 06:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

Thanks for the information though.
I didn't know what a DOT inspection was..
:eek:
It all depends on your attitude and if the cop if having a good or bad day to be honest.
and that's pathetic the way that works..

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want the tail lights and the back up lights tinted you'd be much better off doing it yourself. After doing tons of research, I decided to just tint mine myself with VHT Nightshades, saved a ton of money! As long as you know what you're doing and don't put any more than 3 coats on, they will look just as good as the smoked tails you get online.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.