Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local tint shop to get a price and see if he would go darker than legal this time around. Legal down here in Louisiana is 35% on the front windows. I would like 20% but I'm not sure if I want to worry about being hassled by the po-po, matter of fact while I was there he had just came into the front from taking some guy's tint off that got stopped and slapping 35 in it's place. Anyone with 35 on that can give me an idea if it's worth it? I mainly want it for heat reduction because the sun is raping me right now rolling around in this fishbowl. 90 degrees and good ol southern humidty FTL :notrust:

·
Banned
292 Posts
how bad are the cops there, here in tennessee i have had 5% tint on the last three vehicles i owned and never once been hasselled by the police and or asked how dark it was when i was pulled over for speeding.

just a few things i do when i see cops to prevent the guessing... first and foremost roll the windows down will make the rear windows appear lighter even at night. turn on the interior dom light also helps.

i have 5% on every window sept the front, i have 50% completely down my front window and then 6" drop tint that is also 5%. definately can't see in at anytime... sometimes hard to see out at night out the side windows front is perfectly fine to see.

of course here in tennessee i've yet to see a cop pull someone over JUST FOR TINT. the people i do know that have been hasseled over tint... one of them was caught street racing so they gott hasseled from everything to ride height up to exhaust. the other person was just a complete ***** to the cop and so the cop felt the need to right them a ticket for everything they could find.

if your respectful and do the basics like rolling down your windows when around or beign pulled over you should be fine.

btw 35% is like mostly uv protection, and i feel would be wasting your money... 15 is the lightest i would ever go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont think they are too bad, my sister has been rolling around with 15% for years now and hasnt been stopped. her husband got stopped for speeding and the trooper mentioned his tint shade and said to take it off but that was it. So far I've only heard of one person getting stopped for tint only, its mostly something they mention when you get pulled over for something else. I drove my moms car around for a month after my accident and never got stopped even with the windows up all the time and she has around 15 too so I guess I outa be ok with going darker than 35. Just gotta find a place that will do it, some around here wont go darker than legal :\

·
Banned
292 Posts
Dont think they are too bad, my sister has been rolling around with 15% for years now and hasnt been stopped. her husband got stopped for speeding and the trooper mentioned his tint shade and said to take it off but that was it. So far I've only heard of one person getting stopped for tint only, its mostly something they mention when you get pulled over for something else. I drove my moms car around for a month after my accident and never got stopped even with the windows up all the time and she has around 15 too so I guess I outa be ok with going darker than 35. Just gotta find a place that will do it, some around here wont go darker than legal :\

90% of the places in tn will do it darker than legal but they make you sign a waiver that basically states you knew it was illegal and ask that you not mention the tint shop you had your vehicle done at.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have 20% in back and 35% in the front windows...you dont even notice the difference..looks good, and legal...i live in pittsburgh,PA and the cop i asked about it said as long as you can read a newspaper through it, its good

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm at 15% tint here - illegal but the cops around here have better things to do than give you a ticket for tint. I figure if I get one later on, then it was my fault and I'll remove the tint and go a little lighter. I like the way it came out though.

·
Banned
292 Posts
that tint law about newspapers is no longer a valid way of testing your tint they have a machine that they put up to the window and it calculates the percentage. pass or fail response..

law used to be before they put percentage laws in that as long as the police officer could read the headline of a newspaper from 6 ft away then it was legal. no longer a valid law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.