Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of tinting the my windows on my own. However, a lot of people said that it's hard to do the rear window for some reason. I guess that's why I see a lot of people's rear window end up with all those air bubbles. Anyways, I was wondering what the proper procedures were for tinting the rear window.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well...the rear windows are small so therefor you do have limited space to work with however due to the fact that they are small if you mess it up you arent wasting as much matieral....alot of the times people get the air bubbles from not installing it properly and also becasue they go with the cheaper tint ...just some food for thought

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I had mine done at Pro tint. I watched them install it, the film they used shrinks in one direction. They laid it on the outside of the rear window and used a heat blower to shrink the film to conform to the curves of the glass. Then they applied it to the inside of the glass and it came out perfect. They did not cover the dots at the top of the glass either -- it still looks correct from the outside and I don't have the ugly glue-separation-look where the film can't adhere between the dots. I also chose a film that was the same darkness as the dot covered area -- tint 28.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea those little dots are quiet annoying i have seen it on some cars where it doesnt ahere to them ...i think its called dot matrix or something like that ...i had mine professionally done at a shop as well and have no complaints all i know is on all of my cars i am going to do Limo tint ...i went with 20% in the rear and 30% up front ... i just wish i went as dark as it goes which i think is limo tint at 5%...i had a guy offer me to do my full windshield for $100 at %30

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
yea those little dots are quiet annoying i have seen it on some cars where it doesnt ahere to them ...i think its called dot matrix or something like that ...i had mine professionally done at a shop as well and have no complaints all i know is on all of my cars i am going to do Limo tint ...i went with 20% in the rear and 30% up front ... i just wish i went as dark as it goes which i think is limo tint at 5%...i had a guy offer me to do my full windshield for $100 at %30
Chester I see in your signature that you plan on getting the GMPP perf cat-back exhaust -- The price on these has gone up to around $500 -- CED still has a few of these at the $357 price -- you might consider that in your plans!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
just have it done right by a pro, trust me i screwed up alot it will save u $ just to get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Tint Job

Had mine done at Atlantic Shoreline in Va. Beach, VA. I had concerns about the back glass due to the "dots" and the defroster grid. They have been in business many years and I paid a little extra for the 3M brand tint. Better quality and a lifetime guarantee. Not that much more than standard.
Bottom line is,,, Tinting should be a one time mod. Decide what you want the FIRST TIME, buy QUALITY film and have it INSTALLED PROFESSIONALLY, with a warranty! This mod is way to visible to cut corners trying to save a buck. (My 2 cents worth!)

GTO 1

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I should have stressed this too -- get it done professionaly. The guy that installed mine has been in business over 15 years! Find a long standing tinter -- plus you'll get a warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm, I see. Thanks guys. Well, I guess I'll have to do some research on where to go to get it done. I would've never guessed that this kinda job would require a warranty. lol

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
most professional shops offer a 3 year , 5 year, or lifetime warranty depending on the shop and how much your willing to pay

·
Registered
77 Posts
My best friend did my tint work hes been in the business 23 years he did 2 layers of 15 all around and covered the dot matrix too ive had no problems, my windshield is done too and ive had no problems with the dot matrix..guess it just depends on who you go to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.