Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought new OEM Alloy wheels and All Season tires (16"s) for my son's 07 Cobalt. When I brought them to my friendly local mechanic he advised he's need the car too since he has to transfer the sensors for the Tire Pressure Monitors.

I was planning on using the 15's (Steelies and hubcaps) it came with as PURE snow/ice tires for the winter (especially if he ends up going to college in Vermont). Other than the Check Tire Pressure light being on (since the sensors will now be on the new wheels), is there any other risk or damage than can occur...? Is there a way to buy an extra set of sensors (I'm honestly not sure where they go..on the wheel..??) and avoid the problem altogether or is there some recalibration that also needs to be done..?

Lastly, In the event of a flat, I suspect the donut spare is a 15"..Should I buy a 16" donut (is there even such an item"..?)

Thank you
Ed (the dad)

PS. the screws that the dealer included for the front and rear license plates never seems to get TIGHT..
I can almost loosen them with my fingertips. Would anyone know the correct screw/bolt size for the front and rear license plate holders..? Many thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I think they have to be recalibrated. The car manual should tell you how to do it. If not, buy the haynes cobalt repair manual which can answer pretty much any technical question. AD1

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just bought new OEM Alloy wheels and All Season tires (16"s) for my son's 07 Cobalt. When I brought them to my friendly local mechanic he advised he's need the car too since he has to transfer the sensors for the Tire Pressure Monitors.

I was planning on using the 15's (Steelies and hubcaps) it came with as PURE snow/ice tires for the winter (especially if he ends up going to college in Vermont). Other than the Check Tire Pressure light being on (since the sensors will now be on the new wheels), is there any other risk or damage than can occur...? Is there a way to buy an extra set of sensors (I'm honestly not sure where they go..on the wheel..??) and avoid the problem altogether or is there some recalibration that also needs to be done..?

Lastly, In the event of a flat, I suspect the donut spare is a 15"..Should I buy a 16" donut (is there even such an item"..?)

Thank you
Ed (the dad)

PS. the screws that the dealer included for the front and rear license plates never seems to get TIGHT..
I can almost loosen them with my fingertips. Would anyone know the correct screw/bolt size for the front and rear license plate holders..? Many thanks !!!!!!!!!!!
Did the 2007's come with the TP monitor system?? I thought it was 08-09 model year equipment. All the Cobalt/G5 TPS monitors will interchange. The sensors are located under the valve stem inside the wheel to detect air pressure when tire is inflated. After the tires (sensors) are rotated or tires changed etc.. when installed, must be re-calibrated so the car understands where each sensor is to relay to you which has a potential problem. VERY easy to re-cal and is located in your owner's manual if you have that option. If you do have that option and do NOT use the TPS sensors in the wheels, a dash light will light telling you of a "problem" but will NOT harm the car or the system and light will time out, each start. The space saver spare wheel has a larger diameter wheel with a lower profile tire. READ your owners manual as on some models (oem wheel sizes) the Space saver will not go in some specific locations. Such as a front flat,, you must move a rear full sized wheel and tire to the flat front and place the space saver on the rear. That is not fact, but something like that. If I were U, I would place a left over full sized tire/wheel in the spare if it will physically fit properly. If I have 16's on.. a 15 would be in the spare and vice versa in the winter.

GTO 1

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys..

I'm wondering (reading manual now) if I have mistaken the Enhanced Traction System Warning Light for the Tire Pressure Monitor..???
Does someone have an image of the Tire Pressure Monitor so I can compare it to my car..or if not tell me where it should be? The ETSW warning light looks JUST like my Tire Pressure Monitor so I ASSUMED the car had it.. I'm so confused..
Ed

Update Note: According to GMTPMS.com it states "not available or it was indirect" for 07 .. So it looks like I dont have it unless I have it "indirect" which I don't know what that means. GTO 1, I may owe you a beer since I wont have to pay for something I didnt have to begin with..

Any advice on the screws for the license plates..what size they usually are..I went to Pep Boys and all the have are self tapping, and these have nuts embedded into the plastic..

Ed

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I know this post might be a bit late to the party, but I thought I would share and shed some light on TPM systems.

There are two main types of TPMS Direct and Indirect.

Indirect is kinda the first generation of TPMS found in some 06-07 GM models as well as other makes. It does not measure tire pressure directly but detects a difference in rolling speed resistance from the ABS system to determine there is a low pressure tire. It compares the front tires as a pair and the rear tires as a pair. Problem with this method is that if all 4 tires are low equally then the light may not come on.

The Direct TPMS is a little newer and is the way most if not all TPMS systems are currently equiped. This has a little box that is on the inside of the valve stem hidden inside the tire. It can detect the correct pressure for that tire and then sends a signal to the Vehicles computer to indicate a low pressure tire. This method can tell you exactly which tire is low (provided the system is properly calibrated). The downside here is you have to re-calibrate everytime you rotate the tires or get new tires make sure the sensors get installed into the new tires. These sensors can be a bit pricey in some cars. (I heard a quote for a Nissan Altima in the $70 range)

Not all Direct TPMS equiped vehilces will be nice enough to tell you which tire it is however. So it is still a good idea to keep a tire gauge handy to periodically check the good old fashioned way.

There is no cause for concern if you run a set of tires without a sensor. Just make sure the tires are properly inflated the old fashioned way. The light will be on but black electric tape will cover it up.

The TPMS system is a Govt mandated program to get people to have properly inflated tires to reduce foreign dependence on oil, helping the environment, and save lives from catastrophic tire failures that cause wrecks and rollovers.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
610 Posts
im planning on buying a rim/tire combo from tirerack and i was wondering whether i should have them mount and balance them WITHOUT the tpms or just let my nearby garage to mount and balance them when they use my old tpms? if that can even be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.