Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resentlly have gone from 15 inch wheels and tires to 16 inch on my 2009 colbalt. What is the factory recommended tire pressure for 205/55-16 inch tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The factory spec for most cobalts is around 30 psi I've noticed, you could pull off 35 and still be fine, unless they were low pro tires, then I would up the pressure a little bit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe the manual says 32 PSI... A lot of people / shops are sticking with 35 Psi and you never see uneven wear or any ride related problems from this.

The other day I was helping around the shop at my workplace and one lady shows up for a pressure check. When I checked the tires she had 100PSI (a hundred ! ) in them on a small car, 16' wheels.

To explain; The MAX air pressure for those tires was 44PSI, a 16ply 11R225 truck tire (18 wheeler ) has the max pressure ratting at 120PSI but most of the trucks are sitting on 100PSI truck and trailer fully loaded (80.000 pounds) with no problems. That was A LOT of air pressure for those small tires.

She went before winter at a gas station and "topped of " the pressure without an air gauge. She drove like this all winter till this month on 2008, no name, dry wall tires and except some light wear on the middle of the tread, I wasn't able to see anything wrong with them...

I don't think you should worry to much about 2 or 3 pounds. Just check them every month and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I always just put my car tires at like 35 psi and haven't had a problem with that.. the tires on my durango list a max pressure of 80psi and I have them at 60 haha 100 is just insane on a car!

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
100psi sounds... volatile. Stay away from that lady unless you want to loose an eye when it blows.

I keep my tires at 35psi. It should decrease rolling resistance and extend your mpgs by a few fractions while still maintaining good grip and traction. Lower pressures are good if you live in the woods or an area where roads are few and far between.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Never exceed your sidewall rating. I run 50psi on my ctd because the sidewall allows for 51 cold psi.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Nope, but the door sticker says 40psi so it's only a 10 psi increase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire pressure decal

I just want to know what the decal on the car says the cold p.s.i. should be for 205/55-16 tires on a 2009 Cobalt. Please send me a picture of the decal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bet you anything that will be between 30 to 36 Psi but you will never get that pressure exactly without investing in a over >$200 air pressure gauge.

We have in the shop 4 pressure gauges and every single one will show you a few pounds difference +/- .

The best bet in any shop will be the tool that they are using for nitro checks, but even those ones are not extremely accurate.

Maybe the label will be here soon, I checked your manual on-line but no luck there either...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not sure that's the way to get your answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't care what all you people think. I just want an answer to my question. Not what all you people think the answer might be.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Go call the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I don't care what all you people think. I just want an answer to my question. Not what all you people think the answer might be.
Calm down. Call up a dealership and ask. I'm sure they'll given you a direct answer without shooting you around to different lines.. we gave you what we can, If that's not appreciated then you're more than welcome to find other alternatives.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It's 32. I owned a 2006 cobalt. I may not have the sticker but it's 32. This is not the way our members should be being treated especially new members. We do not recommend other competitive forums either. There is hostility of both sides that needs to stop immediately. Especially from some of our older members......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.