Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long way off from doing any suspension/tire work, but thought I'd plan ahead anyway.

So, I've decided that at some point I'm going to swap for the FE5 suspension, and maybe use lowering springs. I'm also fairly certain that for the next set of tires I buy, I'm going to go either 225/45/ZR17 or 245/40/ZR17. Does anyone know if those fit without any rubbing on the FE5 suspension and the FE5 with lowering springs? Also, which would you go with, the 225 or the 245?

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Shibito on CSS ran 255/35R18s on stock SS/TC wheels with Eibach springs.

But that really is pushing it. I'd go with the 225s. Things start to get funky with that wide of a tire on such a small car, it may actually become detrimental.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer! I assume you mean that anything above 245 would start to get funky. I was thinking of going 255, but thought that'd be really wide for a little Cobalt.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
With a 17, I wouldn't really go much above a 225 as it's not really needed. I made a typo, haha (meant the 225s). Most people stick with a 225 or 235, even on the 18s.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
The physical tire itself will likely be more of something you notice compared to the wider section width (i.e. going from no-season to summer).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've got some cheap Capitol Sport tires on there now because that's what came with my wheels when I bought them. Just about any tire will feel nicer!

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
When I jumped from the 195/60R15 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS (best UHPAS in that size at the time) to my 225/40R18 Dunlop Direzza ZIIs...it was beyond comparison.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bet! Dunlop is actually a brand I've been considering. I'm thinking of going with either them or Hankook.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Are you looking for a summer tire?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll probably end up going with something All Season. Oklahoma doesn't require winter tires, but we can get pretty harsh snowstorms for being in the mid west, and I don't really wanna have to have 2 sets of tires.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
So worth it to have both, but that's fair.

If you're set on all-seasons, I'm thinking the Conti ExtremeContact DWS is your best bet.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been looking into this more, and I'm wondering a few things.

1. If I get the Eibach Pro-Kit springs (Eibach Springs Part No. 3899.140), would the 225/45r17 tires still fit without rub?

2. Does anyone know if the Eibach Pro-Kit springs are progressive? They are in the picture, but it looks like a stock photo they use for all of the Eibach springs. I'm wondering because I want a comfortable ride for casual driving, but something that still corners well. I'm not super knowledgeable on suspension, but from what I understand, progressive springs do exactly that.

3. I'm not looking to go all #StanceNation with my car, I just want a slight drop and better performing suspension. Are the Eibach's good for that, or should I just stick with the FE5 springs?

4. Switching to FE5 suspension, besides the springs, which parts are needed? It seems like I'll need shocks and struts for sure (Struts: 19181044/19181043(L/R) Shocks: 25793745), but I'm not sure which other parts are required to install the FE5 suspension.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Personally, if you're not looking for too heavy of a drop, you might consider the Powell YYZ springs - they're pretty much the best spring out there and really do not drop all that much. If you still want fantastic handling but more close to the drop I have - go with the SSC springs. The SSCs ride excellent.

Mine on SSCs with a 225/40R18 on MSR 045s (+35mm offset, so less positive offset than stock).

You will need those struts/shocks as you mentioned. I would personally upgrade the front swaybar while you're in there, but it's kind of a bitch so I don't blame you if that's not something you wanna do. If that's the case, then you're all set.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That is a beautiful balt! I don't think I've seen a picture of yours without steelies on it before. I love the black/white color scheme!

Anyway, I'll probably end up going with the SSC Springs because your suspension is pretty much exactly what I want mine to be. So, struts & shocks (and obviously springs) are required, swaybar is recommended, and everything else is optional? I don't need the FE5 Control arms or anything like that?

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
No, FE5 control arms are optional as well - they're lighter and have a bit more camber built into them, but they're not overly cheap either.

If you get the front SS swaybar, you'll want the SS Moog end links as well. But if you're just doing struts/shocks and springs, that's all you'll need.

And thanks, I appreciate the comment!

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
I never really found it to be anything crazy extra when I did mine. It was a few years before I added the rear bar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.