Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im ordering a new set of tires for my stock 15in steelies and i was curious what size you guys have gone or wut i should go with. Right now i think im going with 205/60/15 ZE-912 or possibly even a 215/60/15 for a wider tire patch. the stock tires are 195/60/15 so basically my question is should i up the size one or two? will the 215 be too wide for my stock wheel? crowning and such or has someone already done this? thanks guys

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went with Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's because I'm figuring on getting 17's and just wanted a good cheap tire for the winter. 205's would give you a little wider contact patch and make the tire a little taller. 215/60R15's would be about half an inch taller than stock so now your looking at a speedo difference of about 3 mph faster than displayed at 60 mph. Not to mention the extra weight of a larger tire.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with the Pirellis that come on them stock. Maybe you dont have those, but either way unless your tires are bald there is no reason to get new tires, especially when you have the stock rims. Save your money and get some wheels. Otherwise your throwing your money away.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my car did not come with the parelli's( i wish it did) i have the LS with the continental crap tires. Im lookin into the Falkan ZE912's 205/60/15 so hopefully it will handle better and offer more traction. plus there $220 for all four shipped

·
Registered
869 Posts
my car did not come with the parelli's( i wish it did) i have the LS with the continental crap tires. Im lookin into the Falkan ZE912's 205/60/15 so hopefully it will handle better and offer more traction. plus there $220 for all four shipped
Either way i think you're wasting your money. You need to be honest with yourself and what your needs are. Unless you are pushing your car through some serious track work there is no reason to upgrade your tires right now, especially when there are plenty of other things you could think of with 220 bucks. Save it for some new wheels, and maybe then think about upgrading tires. If all you do is daily driving with some lead foot from time to time, i promise your stock tires are going to work fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tires are arguably the most important part of any performance performance tuned suspension or drivetrain for that matter. Even the best coilovers and lightest wheels will suck with Costo econo tires.

My parents called to tell me my G-force sports got to their house today, I am going to use their garage over spring break to leave the car on jack stands while I powdercoat the wheels and get the new tires mounted. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see what your saying but my tires are bald and need replacing so i cant just leave the stocks on. And i dont want wheels, ive seen too many people on this site get rims and it looks like a truck if they didnt drop it. i do not want to drop my car idc that much, this is my daily driver that i horse around with occasionally on the weekends. I was just debating sizes since i HAVE to put tires on anyway. I would like the best bang for my buck since im not putting wheels on or lowering the car. Thanks for all your imputs. I bought a set of 912's 205/60/15 and hopefully they will work out nicely for me

·
Registered
230 Posts
My dealer said to make sure the new tires have the same TPC Spec number that is on the OEM tire. I had no idea until the dealer mentioned it to me.
Rule number 1, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. Rule number 2, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. They told me the Cobalt had a "V4" engine...lol, that is really pathetic.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Rule number 1, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. Rule number 2, don't listen to anything the dealer tells you. They told me the Cobalt had a "V4" engine...lol, that is really pathetic.
No shit man. A dealer will tell you absolutely anything to get you to pay them to do shit for you. They will lie through their teeth all day long if it makes them money.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here is what tirerack.com says TPC spec tires are...basically if you like the crappy unresponsive steering the Continentals offer then you should stick with them as GM thinks they 'behave' well during normal driving.

Since tires play such an important roll in establishing the personality of a vehicle, numerous vehicle manufacturers require their tire suppliers identify some or all of their Original Equipment (OE) tires with symbols or codes branded on the sidewalls that confirm the tire's original use.

The vehicle and tire manufacturer's goal is to make it easier for the owners to identify and select exact replacements when the Original Equipment tires wear out because matching the original tires exactly helps maintain the vehicle's intended personality.

Unfortunately many vehicles wear out tires in pairs (rather than sets of four) due to a lack of maintenance or when equivalent tread wear can't be achieved through periodic tire rotation. While it can't make up for performance differences due to tread depth, It is most important to match new tires to those originally used on the vehicle when replacing tires in pairs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The only time I had to go to a dealer was to get the the electric window panel replaced and also my charcoal canister on my old junk lemon car.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here is what tirerack.com says TPC spec tires are...basically if you like the crappy unresponsive steering the Continentals offer then you should stick with them as GM thinks they 'behave' well during normal driving.

Since tires play such an important roll in establishing the personality of a vehicle, numerous vehicle manufacturers require their tire suppliers identify some or all of their Original Equipment (OE) tires with symbols or codes branded on the sidewalls that confirm the tire's original use.

The vehicle and tire manufacturer's goal is to make it easier for the owners to identify and select exact replacements when the Original Equipment tires wear out because matching the original tires exactly helps maintain the vehicle's intended personality.

Unfortunately many vehicles wear out tires in pairs (rather than sets of four) due to a lack of maintenance or when equivalent tread wear can't be achieved through periodic tire rotation. While it can't make up for performance differences due to tread depth, It is most important to match new tires to those originally used on the vehicle when replacing tires in pairs.
Ah, so if I replace all 4 then it shouldnt matter.
Im down to deciding between Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, Goodyear TripleTred, Goodyear ComforTred, or Michelin Primacy MXV4. From the reviews these seem to be the best. I have been told by both tire dealers to stick with H rated tires for my 16 inch aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ah, so if I replace all 4 then it shouldnt matter.
Im down to deciding between Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, Goodyear TripleTred, Goodyear ComforTred, or Michelin Primacy MXV4. From the reviews these seem to be the best. I have been told by both tire dealers to stick with H rated tires for my 16 inch aluminum wheels.
Don't listen to tire dealers either, they're trying to sell you what they have in stock. The idiots at Americas Tire Co left my hub retainers on and the car was shuddering when I hit the brakes. Also, they told me they don't like to mount tires onto powdercoated wheels because the finish is easily damaged. Obviously they have no idea what they're talking about as powdercoat is much stronger than regular paint.

Go to tirerack and have them hook you up with some tires that will match your driving habits. They have good prices and a huge selection to choose from.

·
Registered
135 Posts
^^truth^^

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just had 4 Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds installed at Evans Tire. Supposed to be the most comfortable tire out there. My car rides exactly the same!
The tire guy said it feels as if there is nothing in my struts and shocks, that over a bump the suspension just clunks without any cushioning at all.
So now its back to the freaking dealer after being out 600 bucks.
I now officially hate my Cobalt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No shit man. A dealer will tell you absolutely anything to get you to pay them to do shit for you. They will lie through their teeth all day long if it makes them money.
Correction:

ANYBODY will lie through their teeth all day long to get your money. Whether they are a dealer or not.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
okay, you hate your cobalt, just wait till you see the $8000 in damage to mine due to a flaw from GM!!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.