Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 05 Cobalt 4Dr Base. We've owned it since 2008 which at that time it had about 40K on it. We just got back from South Carolina and it now is at about 109K. It's been very good to us, Transmission shifts just fine, no slips or any issues. Manual says change at 100K if not under Heavy or Severe Conditions. My question is change the fluid and filter or do you folks recommend any other ideas. I have had horrible pasts with Transmission Flushes so i'm definitely not going that route. Im guessing from what other threads are here Normal transmission service, Fluid, Filter, Gasket and clean the magnet in the pan. Any thoughts on upgrading the magnet or is that overkill?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So i have an 05 Cobalt 4Dr Base. We've owned it since 2008 which at that time it had about 40K on it. We just got back from South Carolina and it now is at about 109K. It's been very good to us, Transmission shifts just fine, no slips or any issues. Manual says change at 100K if not under Heavy or Severe Conditions. My question is change the fluid and filter or do you folks recommend any other ideas. I have had horrible pasts with Transmission Flushes so i'm definitely not going that route. Im guessing from what other threads are here Normal transmission service, Fluid, Filter, Gasket and clean the magnet in the pan. Any thoughts on upgrading the magnet or is that overkill?
If you get it done at a dealership, policy recommends adding a magnet, if it's done right, there should be nothing but benefits for your transmission although in some cases dirt was dislodged and cause ill effects but only in a very small percentage. In my opinion if you know a good local transmission mechanic I would get it done or if you are agile in this field do it yourself. If you are talking 109,000 miles I'm pretty sure any of the good elements of the Dextron is wore out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks of the info. I have done fluid changes in the past and I'm confident that this service will be no different than most I have done before. I will look online and see what I can find for a magnet for my transmission pan and will do the service this week. I will be ordering my parts from rockauto as I love their prices and shipping. My next question is should I use some transtune by seafood or just Strait destroy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definately wont flush, I've had it done twice at regular service intervals and both times, in about 4-8 thousand miles, both trannys died. Should i use some transtune from seafoam or just strait fluid? My last post i used my cell phone to do it and it auto corrected what i typed to strait destroy lol. I hate autocorrect

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do it yourself and DO ADD A MAGNET !

DO NOT have the trans flushed with a machine, heard bad stories and seen a few myself.
My 2007 has the magnet already. Did the early years not get one?

If I remember there was a box painted on the Inside of the pan where the magnet is placed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Transmission flushes are only bad on older vehicles that have not had a transmission service done before. There is nothing wrong with hooking up the machine to the transmission cooler lines and doing it through there. Replacing the filter is much more beneficial on the cobalt anyways.
Here's a stupid fun fact, did you know that the manual transmission fluid used in non SS Cobalts, is the exact same fluid as your automatic cobalt :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.