Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a junior in High School and I want to push my cobalt to around V8 Mustang power. I wasn't too sure whether to mod the car or not because I daily drive the car and I've heard turbos are bad for daily driving.

·
Registered
473 Posts
So Frosty, so glad you came driving by to shoot us a post here on yourcobalt.
So, tell us what you have. Send us a few images of your joy!
How many miles on it. Tell us what you have done to it.
Then tell us how you plan on spending $1000.00-$5000,00 to $8,000.00 or more on one of your first cars?
We would all like to see your Cobalt!

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
"V8 Mustang Power" definitely can vary wildly, depending on what era you're talking about. :laugh:

That said, the Ecotecs have a lot of power-making potential. And no, a turbo is not bad for daily driving if it's been properly tuned. You also have the option of the M62 supercharger off an SS/SC. It won't put you into the power levels that turbos are capable of (though it is possible with a larger TVS blower) - but those levels will also require you to pull the engine, dismantle it and go with forged rods and pistons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Frosty, so glad you came driving by to shoot us a post here on yourcobalt.
So, tell us what you have. Send us a few images of your joy!
How many miles on it. Tell us what you have done to it.
Then tell us how you plan on spending $1000.00-$5000,00 to $8,000.00 or more on one of your first cars?
We would all like to see your Cobalt!
I'll get a picture later, but it's an 07 LT Sedan (i like the sleeper cars) and Im looking to spend maybe $4,000. It's got almost 140k miles, and I've only put rims on it. The old ones looked absolutely disgusting.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

"V8 Mustang Power" definitely can vary wildly, depending on what era you're talking about. :laugh:

That said, the Ecotecs have a lot of power-making potential. And no, a turbo is not bad for daily driving if it's been properly tuned. You also have the option of the M62 supercharger off an SS/SC. It won't put you into the power levels that turbos are capable of (though it is possible with a larger TVS blower) - but those levels will also require you to pull the engine, dismantle it and go with forged rods and pistons.
Around 400-500 horsepower should be enough to beat some stock Mustangs, especially a V6

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
You can beat stock V8 Mustangs with far less than that. :laugh:

Years back, I was riding with a friend of mine who had a 354 whp SS/TC and we beat a fully-bolted-on (everything short of cams or boost), and even though he missed third and leisurely fixed the error, the Mustang still never passed us.

For what it's worth, the current Mustang, with the V6 is probably the fastest V6-powered Mustang you can buy, and they only run low 14s, stock.

On a run where I didn't launch worth shit (on 195/60R15 all-seasons), and with the speed-sapping automatic (it's great down low - but with only four gears, it loses a bit at top end due to being in direct drive and then overdrive), I still ran a 14.1. I'm only around 250 whp (if the torque converter would lock during a run).

In "other situations", I've beat a 3-valve that at least had an exhaust. If it kept going, I probably would have gotten passed, due to the aforementioned gearing, but down low, that didn't happen.

So you probably don't need 4-500 whp...probably...to beat up on a typical stock V8 Mustang, because you have a huge weight advantage. A stock non-SS Cobalt will weigh in around 2800 or less. Mine, with the supercharger, my sub box/amp/subs and a good amount of fuel only weighed 2850 lbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the real question is, should I or should I not mod my car? I still have the rest of High School and College left to go and I don't see myself buying a whole new car to daily drive.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I did my supercharger swap between my freshman and sophomore year of college, and then lowered it a year later.

It's all about funds. If you're able to do all the work, it's that much cheaper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty new to cars and modding but it's pretty easy to learn fast here. The only reason I got into cars was because I needed to buy one, before I could care less. I had school work to do.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Yes - lots of knowledge here, as well as in the how-tos (though, with the recent Photobucket fiasco, they may not be as helpful as the once were, without images).

The supercharger is certainly an easier/cheaper way to go, and for the most part (unless your @rrob5382), it'll keep you below the power limit of your engine and it shouldn't put holes where there shouldn't be holes (i.e. - the side of the block, or the oil pan). Turbos require a little bit more work, but there are plenty of kits out there as well that make the job easier. If your tuner is good, they shouldn't have an issue tuning it properly, either.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The supercharger is certainly an easier/cheaper way to go, and for the most part (unless your @rrob5382), it'll keep you below the power limit of your engine and it shouldn't put holes where there shouldn't be holes (i.e. - the side of the block, or the oil pan).
hey man, she just needed some more airflow haha. got more parts finally coming in in the next week or two to actually start building it again though.. also, not my fault 08 has weaker internals than your 07

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

I'll get a picture later, but it's an 07 LT Sedan (i like the sleeper cars) and Im looking to spend maybe $4,000. It's got almost 140k miles, and I've only put rims on it. The old ones looked absolutely disgusting.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Around 400-500 horsepower should be enough to beat some stock Mustangs, especially a V6
if you are looking to keep it under 4k, supercharge it, put some decent exhaust on it, and some suspension mods. suspension alone will make it a completely different car. also, pick up a good set of summer tires for it. if you want to make it to 4-500hp you will spend quite a bit more than 4k because you will need to build the entire engine to be able to handle it. as MP81 said though, you can get right around 250 on the stock engine safely with a supercharger. relatively easy to install as well, bolts right on for the most part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you guys recommend supercharging or turbo? I'm not quite sure what will be easier and more cost effective to get to 400-500 hp. I know there is a turbo kit out there that can put the engine to around 400 hp, but I'll need to work on upgrading other interiors so nothing explodes lol

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/mb-wheels-icon/p/16966

I can't get a picture currently because it's raining, but just imagine these on a grey Cobalt sedan. They look way better in person.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I guess I'll have to wait until the end of Senior year or maybe College with my current job. I did a rough estimate yesterday and I found out working maybe 5 hours for 3-4 days a week will get me around 4,000 in 16 months. That's bare minimum though so hopefully by Senior year I can have a bad ass car. :D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That isn't likely going to hold up to that kind of power anyways. Honestly if you want to boost it your best bet is going to be to supercharge it, can be done easily for 2k or less and get you close to 250whp reliably. Combine that with good suspension and good tires and you will have yourself a very fun little car that just might surprise you

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Not everything is about peak power, the light weight of the cobalt compared to those mustangs you want to beat will work in your favor as well. Combine that with good tires and suspension and it will grip quite well and even be able to handle itself in corners. You might not be able to blow everything away in a straight line but turns are way more fun anyways

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If you really want turbo you can do it but that transmission is never going to like the 4-500hp goal you set. It might handle it fine but not very likely. There really isn't anything you can do to make them stronger but a trans cooler to keep the temps down and firming up the line pressure will help a little bit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you really want turbo you can do it but that transmission is never going to like the 4-500hp goal you set. It might handle it fine but not very likely. There really isn't anything you can do to make them stronger but a trans cooler to keep the temps down and firming up the line pressure will help a little bit
So it is possible to get the cobalt there I'll just need some extra help with cooling, right?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.