Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
These are the intakes you see all over ebay. They work but you get what you pay for. Go for it but just change the filter to a AEM filter. The ones these come with are usually junk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i'd stick with a well known company. yeah, all an intake is piping and a filter, but i bet that one would throw a code, which is unwanted. plus swapping intakes isnt going to really help you much on weight, they're to damn light as is to be a concern, especially with a daily driver.if you're concerned with weight, strip the trunk and interior to a bare minimum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i'd stick with a well known company. yeah, all an intake is piping and a filter, but i bet that one would throw a code, which is unwanted. plus swapping intakes isnt going to really help you much on weight, they're to damn light as is to be a concern, especially with a daily driver.if you're concerned with weight, strip the trunk and interior to a bare minimum.
intakes are intakes it doesn't matter what company you get it from. They are all alum. tubing and have a filter on them. Ya, you might throw a code...so what...it's not going to affect the engine. An intake isn't going to add power to your car it will only help save gas. i say get it and put on a better filter.

I dont understand why intakes have to be rocket science....

·
Registered
79 Posts
ur right intakes dont add power but they do free a couple hp's up..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not worried about weight what could the diff be a quarter of a pound... not even. i just didnt know if it was junk or not.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ur right intakes dont add power but they do free a couple hp's up..
you wont even feel the hp it frees up because it so small...unless you have a stock turbo like an evo or an sti the intake wont be felt cause it's not enough power to feel. w/ a turbo an after market intake will cause the turbo to spool faster and add power. however on a n/a application it's only a gas saver.

·
Registered
52 Posts
intakes are intakes it doesn't matter what company you get it from. They are all alum. tubing and have a filter on them. Ya, you might throw a code...so what...it's not going to affect the engine. An intake isn't going to add power to your car it will only help save gas. i say get it and put on a better filter.

I dont understand why intakes have to be rocket science....
How can adding a more efficient intake improve gas milage.

I thought when you force more air into the engine it will compensate by adding more fuel.

If this is not the case I'll be buying one tommorow

·
Registered
257 Posts
How can adding a more efficient intake improve gas milage.

I thought when you force more air into the engine it will compensate by adding more fuel.

If this is not the case I'll be buying one tommorow
your engine takes in air based on throttle position and fuel. If you have the throttle at WOT then ya your going to waste more gas cause your using more gas which is why the engine requires more air to keep a proper air/fuel mixture. however under normal driving conditions the less restrictive air intake allows the engine to breath better. it's not a huge difference but at $4/gallon anything will help.

Your engine is only going to take in what it needs. the only way you can "force" more air in is either by turbo, s/c or N2O. So technically it's not "forcing" air in....it's just allowing the engine to breath better

Think of it this way....imagine a track runner running a mile. W/ the stock system it's like the runner breathing through a straw. now imagine the after market intake is like the runner breathing w/ out the straw. a lil exaggerated but the only comparison i could think of really.

Gas millage is mainly determined by YOUR style of driving and how well you take care of your car. Preventative maintenance is key here. Like proper tire pressure, oil, clean air filters and such.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe I missed something but is this intake for the 2.2l? It doesn't seem to say.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I just ordered one so I'll let you guys know how it goes.
From what I've read on another site, the feedback has been positive without it throwing any codes.
I just think it's about time someone charged a real price for an intake. These guys charging $200+ are just scammers getting you to pay for a name.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well, I just ordered one so I'll let you guys know how it goes.
From what I've read on another site, the feedback has been positive without it throwing any codes.
I just think it's about time someone charged a real price for an intake. These guys charging $200+ are just scammers getting you to pay for a name.
Indeed they are. They can talk all they want about R and D but I'll gaurantee there isn't a company on this planet that spent more then 2$ and 30 seconds on R and D for an intake. The only consideration has to be the placement of the MAF and that literally takes about 5 seconds or less to figure out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well here it is, the JDM intake. Showed up really fast too. Didn't notice much of a sound difference, but I just rev'd it a little in the driveway. And so far no codes. I'm going to take it out this afternoon.
Only problems with the install was that the hole/weld for the air flow sensor was a little messy inside and it wouldn't fit. So I just had to file down the rough spots. And as I read somewhere else, the clamps are too small. I was able to use a couple off the old intake, and get the new ones to work, but there are probable only a couple grooves holding it... I want a little more than that, so I'll replace them.

Here is the tear down, thanks to Firebalt07's DIY I was able to get the old stuff out.

And here it is installed.

And all wrapped up.

·
Banned
384 Posts
looks good under there!

you should get a HUGE filter to put on it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.