Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking I may have put too much oil in my car. I changed it and used a 5.1 quarts jug and figured it was close enough and just didn't shake every drop out. Well my dip stick shows well above max and my engine seems louder if I'm accelerating at low rpms say 1000-1500. Here is a picture of the dipstick. I'm thinking I need to drain some oil, but before taking the time to do that I thought Id get some opinions. Oh and this picture was taken after i drove for 45 minutes and let it sit for 20. So it was still hot.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah, five liters is way too much. The manual readys 3.8 or something like that for oil changes.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Oops, I meant quarts!! I'll have to double check my manual but I never have to put more than 4 quarts in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya Im thinking if Id put 4 quarts in id be perfect on the dipstick since the 5 quarts capacity doesn't compensate for the fact that you never completely drain the oil. Let me know if you find anything.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Not off work till 6pm central today so it will be a while. The way I do it is drain my oil, and since I know I dont burn any because I check when I pull into a gas station and fill, I try and put the same amount back in. Take it for a quick fun run and check the level. Never put too much oil in doing it this way!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill have to start doing it that way. I change my oil at my friends garage and just drain it into his big container. But my next change what should i do, drain it and add 4 quarts and see where it is? Because if i refill what I drained ill be high again.

Edit: Do you think I should drain some. I run synthetic so I wont be changing my oil for a while.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I would drain it if you are that high up the dip stick, ie oil preassure will be too high. For your next change can you put the drained oil into a pan first than transfer so you know? Or just drain and add 3.5 quarts. It wont hurt your engine and you can get a good bearing of how much needs to be added from there.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
When I do my oil and filter changes I usually drain approximately 4 liters and add 4.4 and this brings it to the full mark. The growning sound you hear is probably the crank hitting the oil in the base. Just drain half a liter and you should be good. If you didn't race the car you probably haven't hurt anything.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i.e. 4.5 quarts is what he adds. Do you seriously burn half a liter every change?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
When I drove 75 miles each way to work, I would go roughly 5-6k on an oil change with a filter change inbetween. Currently I get around 2k max, mostly because when the car is on it's either driving to an event or at WOT the entire time!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i drive 60-100 highway miles per day for work depending on where Im needed. I use synthetic with a bosch distance plus filter so I plan on doing 7k. This oil change was my first with this car. Ive only had it a few months.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Is it possible for 3000 miles of easy driving to have effected anything? I read the crank hitting the oil from it being too full can make the oil frothy and cause damage.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Anything is possible. Just correct now and wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you drove mostly highway chances are you didn't hurt anything because most of the oil is being pumped up top and the crank doesn't have a chance to hit to much oil. Synthetic doesn't froth like regular oil and doesn't sludge like regular oil so you should be safe. Actually with the ecotec it is better to run over filled than under because of the timing chain oiler design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.