Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to take my car to our local dealership due to the ECM going bad (P0604/P0606) and when I got it back I drove it home and as I was driving the MIL came on so when I got home I read the codes and it was P0315 confirmed and P0016 (pending). P0315 is for Crank Position Variation not Learned and p0016 is for Crank-Cam Correlation. Is it possible that the Crank Variation not programmed is causing the P0016? I called my dealership and they told me I would have to pay again for them to perform the learn operation (which is dumb because I already had to give them $350 for labor alone on what I know didn't take more than 30 minutes and they didn't even do what they were supposed to). Is the variation not being learned something I need to worry too much about? The car seems to be driving perfectly fine at the moment.

EDIT: it's an 07 Cobalt LT3 with 123,000 miles if that matters

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That dealer should be responsible. Go back and argue your point. Don't give them any more cash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if the p0016 is related to the p0315? I don't have the time to disassemble the engine and replace the timing chain right now if it's not ��

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The dealer should have done a crank shaft position relearn if they changed the ECM. These 2 codes are related. The ECM will eventually relearn on it's own if you keep resetting but could take a while.

P0016 Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation- ECM
P0315 Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned ECM, PCM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to do the relearn with a family members snap-on code reader, all is well now. Dealership refused to do the relearn without me paying $250 for it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I would report that dealer to GM head office. That's ridiculous, the manual specifies you need to do relearn if you replace the ECM or crank position sensor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've opened a case with the Regional GM Office, and have so far been given $50 in service cash ?, however the case is still open and the lady I had been talking to told me that I was likely to get most of the $350 for labor back since they didn't complete the job and refused to fix their mistake.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That's good if they come through!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.