Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently bought an 08 cobalt and i have been racing it around a little and last night but when i punch it it spins for a few before hooking up how can i reduce this?:confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
mounts (trans, motor), lowering the center of gravity, LSD without this your always gonna have some torque steer

·
Registered
75 Posts
that's not torque steer, that's spinning the wheels lol. and you can go easy on the right foot, or get traction mods like better wheels/tires, on top of what's posted above.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Torque Steer is when the car juts around laterally as you accelerate. Wheel spin or even worse wheel hop is when the tires spin and the car doesn't move. There is not a whole lot you can do for torque steer because it's a front wheel drive car, even the Bugatti Veyron has torque steer even though it's AWD. Wheel hop will destroy an axle or crack the trans case if you do it too much so mounts are the best way to stop that. Wheel spin is helped by mounts but ultimately better tires and better throttle control are the only way to totally stop it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
^^x2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i was planning on putting the mounts and some rims and tires and some springs on it like i said i just barely got it and i do know the differnce and both are bad i just forgot to mention the other i appreciate all the input though im used to running old school hot rods i had a 64 chevy short wheel base step side truck that i built before that ran 11's and i could do everything with that and also i built 4wds but i never really messed with sport compacts before.:) but i cant wait i have been looking at all kinds of mods any input or comments on the turbo kits out for the 2.2

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
yea i was planning on putting the mounts and some rims and tires and some springs on it like i said i just barely got it and i do know the differnce and both are bad i just forgot to mention the other i appreciate all the input though im used to running old school hot rods i had a 64 chevy short wheel base step side truck that i built before that ran 11's and i could do everything with that and also i built 4wds but i never really messed with sport compacts before.:) but i cant wait i have been looking at all kinds of mods any input or comments on the turbo kits out for the 2.2
have fun :D

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your best bet is to build your own and use Megasquirt or a piggy back to tune it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
x2 megasquirt is a bit advanced tho. I'm gonna use the AEM FIC unit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why do yall say that? and what is piggyback i looked up megasquirt and aem but aem doesnt even list stuff for the cobalt 2.2 and like i said i dunno much bout the sport compact stuff

·
Registered
673 Posts
why do yall say that? and what is piggyback i looked up megasquirt and aem but aem doesnt even list stuff for the cobalt 2.2 and like i said i dunno much bout the sport compact stuff
A piggy back is an EFI controller that basically jumps the signal as it goes to your computer and changes it so that you get the desired fuel, timing, and spark. It's not a real indepth way of tuning the car but you can get by with it.

Megasquirt is a stand alone type tuning platform. Megasquirt is the actual EFI controller and you couple with that Megatune which is your tuning suite that allows you to change basically all the parameters of the ECU. So not only does it take the knowledge to hook it up but you also need to know how EFI systems work, what changing certain perameters will cause the ECU to do and you need to know it like the back of your hand because when something starts to go wrong it goes bad in a hurry. It's not a beginner option.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yessss they do but not for YOUR model year so basically right now ur out of luck for AEM. It works for 05-07 cobalt L61's not 2008's. I would email them tho and ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.