Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My names Garrett and I live in the burbs outside LA...basically between LA and Long Beach. Im driving an 05 LS thats mostly stock, but now that Ive made learning about and working on my car a hobby I hope to do much more.

I bought the haynes manual for my car and joined this forum and another of similar subject, so now Im just making improvements little by little. So far ive only cleaned out my whole engine bay without messing anything up and ive removed and cleaned all the detachable pieces of trim inside the car. Im sanding and painting certain things at the moment, but just small time for now. Ive also got my valve cover sanded up to 600 grit and am hoping to finish all the way to polishing this weekend. Its already a hundred times shinier and better looking. I added some red plastic split loom in place of the stock black in a couple spots under the hood as well...not much, but just enough to add a little color for the time being.

Some mods I plan on doing include: Injen or other CAI, FE5 shocks/struts/etc to help things handle a little better, may upgrade the intake manifold and header plus downpipe and maybe exhaust even. Im not looking to build this into a race car since its just my DD, but I do like working on cars and it never hurts to have a little more style and power. id also like some nicer headlights as well since my passenger side one has water trapped inside and even though I opened, dried, and resealed it, it keeps coming back.

Im going to keep browsing the forums and hopefully not ask too many dumb or repetitive questions. Thanks to those that have already helped me on my quest for automotive superiority. lol

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not much to look at yet, but sure itll give me some good before pics for a before n after set. Ill be finishing with painting my arm rest trim tonight so Ill have the camera out anyways.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Oh yea, some time ago my driver side windshield washer nozzle stopped spraying. Now the other one sprays alone and it seems to spray a bit harder as well. I havent investigated too much yet, but if any of you know if I can just twist off the old ones and replace them with newer ones from pepboys or somewhere, that be great. Ill check to make sure its not just clogged or perhaps the supply line is pinched, but overall I dont mind replacing them with some slightly nicer looking ones if its an easy job.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I havent taken exterior pics because it rained today and I also had the luck of having both my driver side handle ripped off in the middle of the night by some asshat, but also my side mirror was smashed off the car while parked on the side of the road the other day...again by some mystery assailant. Once I get those fixed and give her a good clean ill show off her golden sheen.

heres the engine bay. Cleaned it 3 weeks ago, but could use a good once over and some protectant to add shine. I have the valve cover sanded up to 2000 grit, but havent buffed yet and will probably go over some areas with sand paper again before final buffing.

wanted to try out the high temp paint on something expendable first so heres the engine cover with a lil red paint.

used the diy "automatic shiftboot" thread here to do this although I rigged the new shifter myself.

Heres the two colors I was contemplating for trim. Im going with the blue I believe, but the red is a lot less pink looking in person

I have a 2.4 intake manifold on its way as we speak and I should have an injen intake soon as well. After that its headers, downpipe, and exhaust...All while working on the interior which will be painted and have some LEDs installed as well.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
^^^ Sounds like you’ve run into some bad luck with your car :sad:. But it looks like you’ve made a lot of progress! I hope you go with blue for your trim.. I think that would look sweet!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks! Im waiting for my first coat of blue on the rest of my trim to dry as I type this. :)

I dont really like the all around tan coloring so Im going to def replace the fabric on the doors with something darker and maybe paint all the light tan, lower trim a darker color. That would be a lot of work/painting, especially if I didnt like the finished product, so Im keeping that on the back burner for now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My names Garrett and I live in the burbs outside LA...basically between LA and Long Beach. Im driving an 05 LS thats mostly stock, but now that Ive made learning about and working on my car a hobby I hope to do much more.

I bought the haynes manual for my car and joined this forum and another of similar subject, so now Im just making improvements little by little. So far ive only cleaned out my whole engine bay without messing anything up and ive removed and cleaned all the detachable pieces of trim inside the car. Im sanding and painting certain things at the moment, but just small time for now. Ive also got my valve cover sanded up to 600 grit and am hoping to finish all the way to polishing this weekend. Its already a hundred times shinier and better looking. I added some red plastic split loom in place of the stock black in a couple spots under the hood as well...not much, but just enough to add a little color for the time being.

Some mods I plan on doing include: Injen or other CAI, FE5 shocks/struts/etc to help things handle a little better, may upgrade the intake manifold and header plus downpipe and maybe exhaust even. Im not looking to build this into a race car since its just my DD, but I do like working on cars and it never hurts to have a little more style and power. id also like some nicer headlights as well since my passenger side one has water trapped inside and even though I opened, dried, and resealed it, it keeps coming back.

Im going to keep browsing the forums and hopefully not ask too many dumb or repetitive questions. Thanks to those that have already helped me on my quest for automotive superiority. lol
nice mabey il hit u up next time in cali i go to corona now and again to visit family and freinds

·
Registered
92 Posts
welcome to the site looks like you've got some work planned out for a bit but you should def paint match the rest of the interior trim just a opinion, looks good anyways.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
thanks! Im waiting for my first coat of blue on the rest of my trim to dry as I type this. :)

I dont really like the all around tan coloring so Im going to def replace the fabric on the doors with something darker and maybe paint all the light tan, lower trim a darker color. That would be a lot of work/painting, especially if I didnt like the finished product, so Im keeping that on the back burner for now.
Haha, good choice :toung: And Ugh! I know what you mean about the tan color!! Tan on tan on tan is just blah. Good luck with your painting endeavors. That’s a lot to paint but it would be worth it (imo) :blink1:. Just curious, what color were you thinking about painting the light tan?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even a darker brown would look better than the light tan everywhere, but adding more brown to a turd looking interior might not be the right thing lol. I may try some new seat covers and floormats just to start adding some new color to see what meshes well. I finished the trim last night and will show some pics when I get a sec.

Id really like to look into some serious mods(i.e. cams, injectors, pullys, etc) but Im so clueless as to the specifics that I end up buying nothing out of fear of buying the wrong thing. Im starting with the basic bolt ons now, but would love to see this thing with some nice HP/torque gains even if it is N/A

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

nice mabey il hit u up next time in cali i go to corona now and again to visit family and freinds
cool, my friends live out that way by the Archibald exit off the 60 freeway. Cow country pretty much haha, but a nice neighborhood. Lots of open road to play on, even if my car is still in its infancy lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.