Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the only difference between the gm touring and perfomance exhaust the sound?
if so what are peoples preference on the two.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Your right...the touring exhaust is exactly that...quieter...I believe it is the difference in the resonator...but I might be wrong...could be the materials used in the muffler as well. Also, there are no performance differences, just decibel ones

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've had both exhausts on my Cobalts -- Depends on where you drive your car and how much noise you can tolerate.

Performance exhaust Pro: is great around town has a nice healthy sound to it when accelerating. Con: at highway speeds lots of decibels...you will need to turn the radio up to hear it. If you are in hilly or mountain country the drone when the engine is under load (going up hill) at 70 MPH is really loud and annoying.

Touring exhaust: Pro: deep sound at idle and while accelerating, does not get loud while doing 70 MPH. Con: not loud enough if that's what you want.

·
Bamble Ramble!!!!
567 Posts
it's sad I have been trying to figure out the diff for almost a year now. I find this thread and I understand it now. Thank you Red, my hat goes off to you

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
it's sad I have been trying to figure out the diff for almost a year now. I find this thread and I understand it now. Thank you Red, my hat goes off to you
Glad I could help.

If I had it over to do with the Cobalt I would stick with The Touring exhaust...I liked the sound of the Performance exhaust -- but on the highway it got "old" real fast. The droning at 70 MPH+ caused me to feel tense after a long drive. The Touring exhaust does not do this.

Others just like the noise...LoL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had both exhausts on my Cobalts -- Depends on where you drive your car and how much noise you can tolerate.

Performance exhaust Pro: is great around town has a nice healthy sound to it when accelerating. Con: at highway speeds lots of decibels...you will need to turn the radio up to hear it. If you are in hilly or mountain country the drone when the engine is under load (going up hill) at 70 MPH is really loud and annoying.

Touring exhaust: Pro: deep sound at idle and while accelerating, does not get loud while doing 70 MPH. Con: not loud enough if that's what you want.
yeah i definately dont want anything too loud.
i mean, can you hear the touring when you get on it?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I have the touring exhaust. go to my show off thread linked in my sig and watch my vids. I love it. I didn't want something loud and annoying. just something that sounds nice.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
yeah i definately dont want anything too loud.
i mean, can you hear the touring when you get on it?
You can hear the sound it makes in blazerlows sound clips. With the Touring exhaust when you get-on-it you hear it, normal driving and at cruising speed it sounds good -- deep.

Obvoiusly the Performance exhaust version is louder -- and it is fine around town and at speeds of 55 and less. The biggest difference between the two is the noise at 70 -- the Performance exhaust starts to "drone" and becomes irritating.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yea go touring if you do alot of highway speeds and stuff cause it is much louder. I love it because my balt is not driven everyday or sometimes not drive at all for a week so when I do drive it I enjoy the sound and all, I listen more rolling through the gears and downshift slow downs than I do the radio.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The GMPP cat back exhaust comes as described:

-Resonator 19131638
-Intermediate pipe 19131639
-Muffler assembly (Touring) 19131640
or
-Muffler assembly (Sport) 19131641
*they call it "sport" but what they mean is "performance"
-bolts
-nut
-2.25" clamps
-instruction sheet.

So with that I am absolutely sure that the difference is in the muffler, as with what everyone has said so far with the "sound" difference, the most obvious one. There are also the following differences:

1) Performance has better ground clearance, since the muffler has a smaller diameter
2) GMPP claims a 2 hp difference between the "performance" and "touring", but I'm sure that's on the SS. This is as per catalog at the dealer. i.e. They claim 13 HP increase on SS, but on 2.2 it's more like 1.5hp as per this article:
2007 Chevy Cobalt Exhaust Upgrade - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

IMO, THEORY, NOT PROVEN: The touring muffler has a bigger canister and hence creates more turbulent flow within the muffler hence lowers the output and hence smaller gains.

So again IMO, if you have a 2.2 it really makes no difference, but if you have an SS you might want to fo with the "performance".

The reason why I chose "performance" is:
1) It's really not that loud on a 2.2 accoring to GM, sub 90dB
2) It's cheaper in Canada, for whatever reason, the touring is 125$ more.
3) If you go all out later, you might achieve better gains.

Caveat, if you drive in a place where police are very tight about the rules or you just want more civility on the mod then touring is the your choice.

ALSO, for your evaluation:

sound clip of stock vs touring vs performance, courtesy of crateenginedepot.com

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sound/cobalt.wma

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I personally liked the Touring tone better.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
They claim 13 HP increase on SS, but on 2.2 it's more like 1.5hp as per this article:]
The speed channel (RedLine TV) did a dyno comparison with a 2006 LS (California car/SAI equipped) 2.2 and I think it was Jason Whitfield (Not sure of spelling) who did it -- Jason has/had one of the fastest Cobalts on the planet. In the dyno comparison they installed a GM performance exhaust and then an injen intake. First they installed the exhaust and then the intake. Their dyno readings (on TV): base of 125 WHP, +7 WHP w/GM exhaust, and another 8 WHP with the Injen intake. Total of 15 more ponies with both systems installed. I installed the GM perf exhaust and the GM Perf intake on my 06 LS and it felt pretty good compared to stock!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow, I never dynoed my car, but If I got 7hp with just the exhaust, I'm ecstatic!!! Seriously~! I was kinda disapointed to read the above mentioned article that only had 1.5hp increase... oh welll...I guess it's good news then..

too bad my butt's reading has such a high error that I can't tell :-D

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
And that's 7 whp, so a little more at the fly, which is about right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.