Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

TPMS light just popped up

888 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  The dragon 
#1 ·
What does srvc tpms mean. I bought this car last week for a cheap price. It is a 2009 and it's been to the shop twice now, is there any more problems that will come up the next time I drive it. I am getting a new radio, aftermarket, tomorrow. It's from Best Buy, and having them install it, I hope they know what they are doing.

#2 · (Edited)
It means service the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. This system monitors your tire pressure in each wheel. Access the system by the key fob or dash info button if not fob equipped. It will tell you which tire is low or has a problem. It is either a too low or too high tire pressure or a dead battery in the sensor. Each wheel has a sensor under the valve stem and if the battery is dead or loses communication with the monitor it sets that warning light. As for the radio be careful. The stock radio uses the car's computer to verify the VIN, and if correct, will then power on the radio. Aftermarket radios may not be able to do that. If the shop just wires the radio into a convenient hot wire the radio will be powered all the time and kill the battery. Off must be completely OFF. Ask me how I know. Also the car uses the radio speakers for warning chimes like 'key in ignition' or 'lights are on' and the directional signals 'click' sound. The module that does that with an aftermarket radio is another $100 .

#3 ·
Thanks, the next time I am at the shop I will tell them about the tires and the battery, they do have the tool to check and reset the sensors. as far as the radio ,I did check the receipt and it shows they have the module for the chimes on order, so I guess they know about the battery drain also, if it is not hooked up correctly.

#7 ·
Now an update on the radio: A trip to two places. The first one was Best Buy, they had a radio that would fit but they could not install it till two weeks later, so I canceled that order and went to Car Toys. Found the radio I liked and asked about installation, they said bring back the car at 2:00 PM and they could do it then. Two radios later and now I have tunes playing. I ended up getting the JVCKenwood DPX 505 BT. It seems to be a good radio, they even paired the phone to it, now I can talk on the phone through the radio, the little one can also play her songs from the phone through the radio. They said the installation was guarantied for the life of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.