Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put some 2006 cobalt wheels on my 2008. Now the TPMS isnt working. Is it because the system has to relearn or is it because the 2006 wheels don't have TPMS or something?

·
Registered
870 Posts
You will need new TPMS sensors. You can purchase them from GM. I need some new sensors as well...that warning light is getting annoying.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
ummmmmm...... did you switch the tpm's over to the new wheels? the wheels don't come with built in sensors. the sensors are the valve stem. or did the wheels you bought come with tires and sensors installed? do you know how to learn them? look in the owners manual and it is a very easy procedure.

need more info to be able to help you

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Yea, what blazerlow said, the sensors are seperate from the wheel. Most good tire shops know how to get them to work without going to the dealer.
Gotta love the new technology, all because people are too lazy to use a normal air guage.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
you don't need to go to a shop at all to learn them, it can be done all by yourself at home with no tools. read the owners manual

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
am I the only one without a tpms? lol

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I do not have it either and I am GLAD. My dad has too many hassle with them, seems like every time he get his tires rotated on his BUICK LAcrosse he has to have them reset.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have an 09 though lol

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
well you have to reset them if you rotate your tires anyway. cuz even if they still read numbers you are getting the wrong readings at the wrong location. lets say you put the right front tire to the right rear. it will still read as if it's at the right front unless you re learn them. when we do tire rotations at work we automatically reset the tpm's every time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ummmmmm...... did you switch the tpm's over to the new wheels? the wheels don't come with built in sensors. the sensors are the valve stem. or did the wheels you bought come with tires and sensors installed? do you know how to learn them? look in the owners manual and it is a very easy procedure.

need more info to be able to help you
I didnt switch the valves, so I guess thats the problem. So to fix it I just go to a dealer/shop or buy new TPMS valve stems? (i dont have the old wheels)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
no prob

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you just take these to a tire shop and they installed it for you? How much did it cost? Or what did you do?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.