Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i am tired of looking at the stupid yellow light since i dont have TPMS in my rims and i got a quote from a local tire place that they would swap them for a hundred or put new ones in my rims for $200. Looking around online i found the cobalt tpms with the part number of 15921013 and i found them online for $ 80

Cobalt Lacrosse Tire Pressure Sensor 15921013 TPS SET : eBay Motors (item 370341727396 end time May-27-10 18:15:43 PDT)

my question is does the tpms specific to the car or the rim im thinking the car since you can just swap them from stock steelie to rim and would those work with my rims?

anyone else have this issue and is $200 to much?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Answer: "The car". Put them on and the TPMS apparatus will communicate with them and then match the display locations to the physical locations.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotcha will do i called another tire place they quoted me at twenty dollars a tire to put the sensors in if i buy them off online

·
Registered
166 Posts
talk to discount tire.... best place and we do this all of the time. buying sensors are expensive as hell. i would say just get them swapped out into your summer wheels and dont ever run them in your winter wheels. no matter what your computer system can only keep one set of sensors connected so when you switch them out each season change then you have to pay to also have the sensors recalibrated each time.... so i say just switch them out once and roll with them in your summer wheels. itll be the cheapest. anymore questions just ask!

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Answer: "The car". Put them on and the TPMS apparatus will communicate with them and then match the display locations to the physical locations.
and although this is true, you still need a sensor reset to acctivate the new sensors because the computer will not do that automatically and that can be expensive as well

·
Registered
166 Posts
you can push the reset button and it will just flash your current sensors but keep them in the same place... if you rotate your tires yourself the sensors dont and cant reset to their new positions without the calibrating tool. the reset just reflashes the light to turn it off for an easy fix. idk if im explaining this enough or if its clear. bottom line is you need the tool to reset if you get new sensors or move them around. the reset button just flashes the sensors.....make sence?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can push the reset button and it will just flash your current sensors but keep them in the same place... if you rotate your tires yourself the sensors dont and cant reset to their new positions without the calibrating tool. the reset just reflashes the light to turn it off for an easy fix. idk if im explaining this enough or if its clear. bottom line is you need the tool to reset if you get new sensors or move them around. the reset button just flashes the sensors.....make sence?
gotcha good call i will then make a better decision about this and look into this better

·
Registered
74 Posts
$200 is not that bad I have heard they are as high as $75 a sensor. If you are going to be switching between summer and winter tires all the time I would spend the money...If you are not then eh!!...

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a manual learn position for the tpms sensors. I do not have the procedure, but I do now that it involves letting the air out and refilling them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just did this and it worked on my rims.

I bought the whole set of 4 online for $80. I took them to discount tire and they installed them and calibrated them all for $30.
Woot! ^^

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
craig buy those i have them.
i put them in my aftermarket rims and goodyear charges 25 to relearn them all.

Okay so i am tired of looking at the stupid yellow light since i dont have TPMS in my rims and i got a quote from a local tire place that they would swap them for a hundred or put new ones in my rims for $200. Looking around online i found the cobalt tpms with the part number of 15921013 and i found them online for $ 80

Cobalt Lacrosse Tire Pressure Sensor 15921013 TPS SET : eBay Motors (item 370341727396 end time May-27-10 18:15:43 PDT)

my question is does the tpms specific to the car or the rim im thinking the car since you can just swap them from stock steelie to rim and would those work with my rims?

anyone else have this issue and is $200 to much?

·
Registered
67 Posts
and although this is true, you still need a sensor reset to activate the new sensors because the computer will not do that automatically and that can be expensive as well
I did have to manually reset the TPMS by changing the air pressure at each tire.

I had an impression that the TPMS system was reporting wrong in March because I had four TPMS sensors on the wheels and four more TPMS sensors on the winter wheels that were in the trunk. They system display reported strangely for days after I had the new wheels installed on my summer tires.

I am going to have to adjust tire pressure and manually reset the system everytime I swap snow tires/summer tires. That will be ok, because I let air out of the tires when I put them away for seasonal storage. This 12 Volt tire inflator that I bought at Harbor Freight is going to come in handy! Thanks for the advice!!

So what happens if someone uses wheels without TPMS sensors? I expect that the special tire/TPMS lamp will come on and stay on and that everytime the car is started, the display on the Driver Information Center will announce that there is a TPMS problem. The driver would have to use the reset button to clear the message every time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
TPMS manual reset:

Key in ACC position

Hold lock+unlock buttons on the fob

Go to corner where the turn indicator is on, let out air until the car honks

Do the other 3 as indicated

Fill up with air

Done. Working TPMS, no cost.

·
Registered