Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning

I have a 2006 LS (Pontiac Pursuit) automatic with a 2.2 l. The traction control and ABS lights come on but only when I put the tranny in reverse. If I start the car and put in drive,brake, etc, lights won't come on until the tranny is in reverse.

Pulled and checked fuses(TCM/BCM,ABS),disconnected battery and pulled 50 amp fuse in the trunk....

Disconnected, cleaned and re-connected front wheel speed sensors(have not done the rears as the access is a little harder but will probably do them sometime this week if the problem does not go away)

Anybody else has an idea on what to check!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Make sure your parking brake lever is all the way down....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that response COBY ...parking brake was all the way down...but I did pull it up and back down again to do a "reset " but the problem is still there

Any more ideas... the anti rust was done a couple days ago so mabe a connector got dirty somewhere...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are your back-up lights coming on?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, back-up lights work...

Pulled the two connectors at rear wheels ,cleaned with contact cleaner and re-installed....
same problem, both lights only come on when the tranny is put in reverse and they come on before i let go of the brakes. When I turn the car off and re-start, the lights are off...I put the tranny in drive and let the car move forward, the TC and ABS lights don't come on. As soon as i put the tranny back in reverse they come on???????????

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Looks like "BCM" is not getting the signal from the park neutral switch on TCM. Maybe clean that connector on top of transmission. Try pulling and re-inserting P1 and P2 from BCM. Disconnect battery first.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just drove 20 km's and the lights never came on,car drove fine.When I got to destination and put the car in park, both lights came on and drove back home with both lights on and car still drove fine.

When I got home, I shut down the car, wait a few seconds and restart it...lights were off but now they came back on when i put the car in drive...
Is there a relay beside the fuses that could cause the TC and ABS lights to come on?

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Is the park neutral switch on TCM accessible from the top or is it under the car.
Do you have a picture or GM drawing that shows where it is?

Thank you again COBY7 for the info

Pi and P2 were already disconnected and re-inserted while the battery was disconnected this morning. Both connectors were cleaned two years ago and di-electric grease applied ...that was a fix for TC light on accompanied by hard shifting

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks like we have a winner!

Pulled the connector of the tranny , cleaned with contact cleaner and re-installed.

Started the car and shifted in reverse-no lights...a few feet back in reverse, a few forward in drive ( car is in the garage) back in park and TC-ABS lights are a no show...
Will drive the car to work tomorrow and see if it comes back...

Thanks a million COBY7...what would we do without you !!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You would spend a lot of money at the dealer and I would be poor.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Wait a minute, I am poor.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

But a happy poor. Happy to help !!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You would spend a lot of money at the dealer and I would be poor.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Wait a minute, I am poor.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

But a happy poor. Happy to help !!!
You are rich my friend..a man that keeps giving like you do, every day on this forum...is a rich man!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You know, you're right this fills a void in my life. So gratifying to hear thanks from somebody you helped. Only so much I can do on line though. Even harder when people can't explain their problems or symptoms adequately.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Unfortunately, TC and ABS came back on this morning after driving about 20 kms. I was stopped at a red light,brakes applied and in drive when both lights came on....When I re-started the car 3 hours later, lights were gone but re-appeared after 3 minutes of driving.

Grounds under the coolant tank and the big one below TCM-ECM were cleaned and greased two years ago...

COBY7, you're WEALTH of knowledge about this car model is still in demand !

Thanks and have a nice day

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the "ECBM" connector? It's low and might have gotten contaminated when you had your car rust protected.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Bottom of radiator support driver's side.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I cleaned the ECBM connector....

(probably not related to my problem but also grounded the TCM case to the grounding point under the coolant overflow tank while I was under the hood)

Both lights still come on randomly, but they are never on when I start the car!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might be time to get a scan tool to see what triggers these lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks COBY7,
I figured that was my next step....
Lights only come on when I come to a full stop and not while the car is moving, so I imagine it has to do with one of the wheel sensors or the "gears" on the hub being dirty?
I'll try to find a scan tool that can read ABS codes...

Drove the car in rain this afternoon...I guess(and hope) it washed my problem away...no lights tonight...when I brake,put the car in reverse-drive and reverse again...maybe I'll win the lotery tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got my hands on a scan tool to read my ABS codes.
I'm getting a C0040 (right front sensor) and a U2100 (CAN bus communication).

The right front sensor's resistance is 1000 ohms (within spec) and I'm getting a little over 3 VDC to the sensor. I read somewhere it's suppose to be 4.5 volts but the left wheel sensor is getting the same voltage.

Just wondering what to check for the U2100...all plugs on BCM,EBCM and TCM have been removed and cleaned..fuse 25 in the BCM has been switched with another 10 amp fuse!!!!!!!!!

Both TC and ABS lights come on intermitently and only when car is stopped and my foot is on the brakes!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.