Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traction control light intermitent for the past couple of days. This morning, the car (2006 G5 with 2.2 eng and 4 spd auto) was upshifting gears very roughly and the same when dowshifting.......everything was smooth when idling or cruising at speed on the highway...anybody seen or heard about a similar problem......
I checked those ground wires next to the fuse box on the right side under the hood....no corosion.......

any ideas before I take it in for service

THANKS

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Where do you go for service, fl1000? I only ask to say that if you plan on working with one of our dealerships, I'd be happy to assist as needed.

Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sarah

After checking those ground wires,I opened the fuse box and started pushing the fuses down......I would say that 60-70% of the fuses and relays were not seated properly.the car worked fine this afternoon but it wasn't as cold outside.........I'm keeping my fingers crossed that re-seating the fuses and relays did the job as this problem just came out of nowhere...no work has been done on the car lately.........

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car is still running fine 2 days after re-seating the fuses and relays but it hasn't been as cold as the day it acted weird.....still keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem i get now is the occasional chime (ding-ding-ding)but no lights come on in the dash....this usually happens 1 or 2 minutes after i drive off with the car....uuummm is something bad coming!!!!!!!!!! it still hasn't been as cold outside as when I had the T/C light on and the rough shifting....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here it is again...Traction Light came back on solid tonight as I was driving on the highway but no problems were noticed and tranny shifted smoothly.....
I have an OBD2 reader but the LCD display is broken on it.....

is there still a way to short some pins in the connector to get the CHECK ENG
light to flash the trouble code.....!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hell no dont work like that anymore gotta scan to see which abs sensor/wheel bearing is f'ed
hooked up an OBD2 reader tonight and no codes were set ....
would a TRACTION CONTROL light set a code....
I get this problem when it gets colder outside so I suspect a bad connection somewhere,,,either a bad ground,a cold solder on a board in an electronic module...could be anywhere I guess

still wondering why I sometime get a chime with no lights or messages on the display

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You might have water in one of the wheel speed sensor connector and when it freezes it expands the pins and you lose contact temporarely. Clean and spray them with water dispersant and respring the female side contacts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks COBY7 ...sounds good....I'll probably do that when I replace the winter tires in a few weeks...contact cleaner and dielectric grease in each connector

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could not wait for a tire change..this thing has been bugging me for too long now..this morning, -8 celcius outside...car was in my heated garage all night so I removed all 4 tires to clean the plugs at each wheel with contact cleaner then a dab of dielectric grease...drove the car outside the garage and let it sit there for about 4 hours before going out to a movie with the kids this afternoon...mix of city and highway driving...made the car spin on a patch of ice and got the normal LOW TRACTION message...no TC lights and no chime ....so far so good but still got my fingers crossed....I'll come back to say if this was the fix or if my problem comes back...if it does than I assume that it is not really temperature related but a nagging intermittent electrical problem

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What you did can't hurt. Did you respring the female contacts a little bit so it would have a tighter bite onto the male pins? Not necessary but I find it helps secure a better connection.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you did can't hurt. Did you respring the female contacts a little bit so it would have a tighter bite onto the male pins? Not necessary but I find it helps secure a better connection.
Yes I did altough I did not check if the sensors were shorted to ground as i didn't have my lead wires

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Don't think that is your problem anyway, when you have a bad sensor your "ABS" light comes on and bearing is usually noisy by then.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I turned the wheels by hand when the car was jacked up end they seemed to turn fine so I figured that the bearings were alright but that doesn't mean that the sensor is .....but I don't have an ABS light on.........

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Let's wait and see now I guess, let us know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the chime ( Ding,Ding,Ding) again, but no other indications and the car was running smoothly.............

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Were U spinning on ice or just out of the blue? Might be two problems....coincidence maybe not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.