Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Does anyone have any info on trailer hitches for our rigs?

I'm mostly looking to haul around two mountain bikes but would also like to have a hitch strong enough to pull a small trailer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Many different companies make a non hitch bike carrier that straps to the trunk lid and does not require a hitch. With the way people are nowadays I dont recommend a hitch on a small car like the Cobalt. Personally, when it comes to buying a used vehicle there are certain vehicles that if I see a hitch I thank the person for their time and walk away, as you do not know what the person actually towed. I have seen Mustangs towing 25 foot pontoon boats.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Reese makes a class one hidden hitch for the cobalt, just ask your local truck outfitter shop, they should be able to look it up for ya.

Class one hitches are the lightest duty hitch, and have a rated capacity of 2000 lbs(double check those numbers, some may be different)

The cobalt wouldnt be able to make use of a heavier duty hitch than a clas one.

Hitches, Receiver Hitches; Hitches Online!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
IMO a roof rack is uglier than a trailer hitch..
and alot harder for smaller people to use, i've noticed.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trailer hitch, new Cobalt, mpg

Continuing hitch discussion,

Hey there, I bought a hitch from etrailer for my wife's Caliber and it bolted right up. Me and the nephew did it in the driveway in about 1/2 hour or so and were on our way with two mountain bikes immediately following. The instructions are online. 'Ya can't really see it until you put the bike rack in. I'm 'gonna order one for the Cobalt too. The link I'm looking at is:

2008*Chevrolet*Cobalt*Draw-Tite, Reese, Hidden Hitch, Valley and Curt search with the*Hitch Hunter ™ by etrailer.com (800) 298-8924

I agree with the above mentioned comments about roof racks, they can be a pain. I also agree about not wanting to tow much with a Cobalt. It's not really made for that and the owners manual says not to tow with the manual transmission, which seems odd, but that what it says.

I just bought a red (no tickets yet...) '08 2dr, 5spd, 6k miles, Cobalt with a sunroof... Love it. I figure I live near Lordstown(where they make 'em), the least I can do is patronize the local car industry. I've run a couple of tanks of gas through it and seem to be getting 35+mpg or so. I drive pretty easy. I figured the gas mileage by using the avg mpg (I zeroed it at the fill up) on the dashboard computer and by figuring from the mileage and the gallons used with a calculator. Seems nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
continued trailer hitch discussion, ditch the instructions

I bought a trailer hitch for my '08, 2dr, 5sp, Cobalt from e-trailer. I mostly got it to hold the bike rack and one of those basket things on rare occasions. The directions told me one thing, I did another. They(the directions), said to fish the large, rectangular washer and bolt through a hole( and then through the washer hole!) and down/inside the frame rail....This looked impossible. As a matter of fact, I bought the car used(6K on it) and someone(the previous owner) else had tried this and LEFT the hardware in/on the car!

Anyway, the way I did it was;

First remove trunk carpeting then, then for the drivers side(the other side is relatively easy)

1.Instead I drilled up through the mounting hole into the trunk(to locate the hole).
2.Enlarged the hole in the trunk.
3.Carefully and PARTIALLY jigsawed the hole bigger.
4.Fold it(the piece of partially freed up metal) up.
5.Dropped the necessary washer and bolt through the hole.
6.Painted the edge of the metal that has been cut.
7.Fold the metal back down, apply duct tape. (next time I get fiberglass out, I'll probably fiberglass it).

That's pretty much it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.