Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting a jet ski soon but the balt is the only vehicle i have.
so what i want is a way i can tow one jet ski about 5 miles to the lake with the cobalt, without looking stupid. does anybody have a suggestion?

edit: i'm also planning to lower it (probably megan's) before summer too

·
Registered
183 Posts
LMFAO a cobalt alone pulling something would be funny.

now lowering a cobalt and then getting her to pull a trailer :nuts:

I would love to see that, not saying it cant be done, and if i had a jet ski Id probably do it, its just not a car you normally see tugging something along.

suggestion..

if there is a way, without costing too much, try the hide a hitch . so when youre not tugging it along, you dont have a massive hitch behind u. although those r great for parking lots. people are extra careful when pulling up to you

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

EDIT

theres also a thread on all of the different springs. I remember eibach and another brand were top 2. maybe would be better to buy those...just figuring you might need the better quality for towing purposes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It mentions this in your owners manual. Do yo have an automatic or a manual transmission? With an auto transmission you can I think its 1000-1500 lbs max towing (can't remember), but it says not to do any towing what so ever with a manual transmission.

I've installed a hitch on my 2010 XFE and the hitch cost me $150 shipped if I remember right. It did requires drilling 4 holes and slight modification of the hitch to fit right. I don't use it for towing. I use it for my bike rack.

Make sure you have sharp bits!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i've got an auto, and i'm trying to pull a 20' ski boat or a camper trailer, just one jet ski (~650+trailer) i guess i'm really looking for something i can put on in the summer and take back off in the fall that doesn't look too terrible or hang down too much and scrape everywhere

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll post you a picture of mine soon when the its light outside. The one I have is pretty high off the ground and won't scrape. That being said mine isn't lowered.

When looking at buying a hitch look if its a 1in 1/4 or a 2in hitch. That will also decide how much you can tow.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Subscribing to this one. I may need a hitch for the same reason and a bike rack.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You can also paint the cover same color as your car and kinda make it blend in. I did that with my Malibu and you could barely see the hitch.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You probably can't get any bigger for a Cobalt because that's all the car can pull anyway. Your only as strong as your weakess link.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Hidden Hitch also sells stainless steel tow balls if you're going to back into salt water, this ball will never rust. Mine is still as shinny as the day I purchased it 9 years ago. Only thing because stainless is not as strong as regular steel the stud is bigger so you have to oversize the hole in your towbar.

·
Registered
193 Posts
^^^ I totally agree, I just mentioned 2" receivers because they tend to be easier to find hitches for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hitch

Too bad you're so far away. I'm going to sell the hitch that I have on my 08 SS model. There are different hitches , but mine orig cost about 200 and I've never actually used it. It is very well hidden and fits several inches shy of the lower bumper. The thing with the cobalt is that the only place to mount them securely is on the frame rails so it's fairly wide and has to be fitted above the muffler on one side. This makes it a little bulky and awkward to take on and off easily. My weighs in at 38 lbs, but it will handle anything the cobalt can haul. If you're interested I could take some pictures and determine the shipping. I'd sell it for 100 plus shipping. Should make it around 150.

I took it off the car because I'm going to autox it, and the hitch is not easy enough to take on and off at each event. Too bad I didn't think of that before I bought it ! My loss, someone else's gain.

cw

Subscribing to this one. I may need a hitch for the same reason and a bike rack.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too bad you're so far away. I'm going to sell the hitch that I have on my 08 SS model. There are different hitches , but mine orig cost about 200 and I've never actually used it. It is very well hidden and fits several inches shy of the lower bumper. The thing with the cobalt is that the only place to mount them securely is on the frame rails so it's fairly wide and has to be fitted above the muffler on one side. This makes it a little bulky and awkward to take on and off easily. My weighs in at 38 lbs, but it will handle anything the cobalt can haul. If you're interested I could take some pictures and determine the shipping. I'd sell it for 100 plus shipping. Should make it around 150.

I took it off the car because I'm going to autox it, and the hitch is not easy enough to take on and off at each event. Too bad I didn't think of that before I bought it ! My loss, someone else's gain.

cw
230 miles if i bought i would meet ~halfway

·
Registered
183 Posts
wouldnt it be cheaper to just order a new one? and get it shipped? 15.89 to Michigan, 12.86 to MO. n IDK where u live.

factor in gas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.