Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having the auto, only having 4 gears, Why didnt i get a stick? Right now im kicking myself in the A$$ but its all good i had my reasons at the time. Now im interested in a few trans things and had a few questions before i start into my research on small nitrous shots and well, this.

I've seen a couple things about Gm coming out with a new 6 speed Auto Trans for some different cars in the coming year. IE. Saturn Aura, G6 I forget if its on the base or the GXP, i know the GXP comes in a 6speed manual? Anyhow, to the question, Would it be possible to make a trans swap from the 4 speed to the 6 speed auto. And what would be the difficulty. this is something im not expecting to be easy, but a bigger project im interested in lookin into.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well..... It would be in the thousands! First you'd have to find out if the tranny would fit the engine and the engine craddle then there is a good possibility that you'll be costumizing a lot of parts, not just welding stuff together but spending a fair amount of time at a machine shop. Now lets say you get it in and you want to start it.... Now you're going to have to find a a way to control it (ECU). There are a lot of factors to this whole thing. You will definitly need a car to drive while you're working on this because it won't be a weekend project and if it is then you sir should be working at NASA.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea def clears taht up a bit. Just something im looking into, but def not having my hopes set on. Still just bugging cuz of the whole 4 gear thing. really seems im at capital race way in maryland every so offen, Soon i get through part of 3rd and especially 4th its a huge drag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think it could be done. People said that the 3800series into the J-Body's was impossible but it happend, now its a common swap. Just do lots of research and take your time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Buy a new G5? Idk man newer cars are hard to do major upgrades with because not many people at all have done them.

G

·
A tranny upgrade just isn't worth it. You can run times just fine with the 4-speed unit... just start making more power... buy a shift kit and a tranny cooler. More gears does not always mean faster. More gears in an auto means more time spent shifting... and more weight... which are not your friends.

The 4-speed unit in the G5/Cobalt is a fine tranny... it will handle plenty of power... just sock it in there.

SilverStreak added 6 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Also... typically with a 6-speed unit (and some 5-speeds) the last 2 gears are overdrives... which aren't good for racing anyways. So going to a 6-speed would leave you with 4 positive ratio ( > 1:1) gears... which is only a gain of one gear from what you have now (4-speed with 3 > 1:1 & 1 OD).

Heck... if you get technical... 4th in the SS/SC is 0.89:1... so it's overdrive for us... so we really only have 3 gears that are > 1:1 anyways.

Just saying... more ain't always better. A 6-speed would increase your highway mileage... but it wouldn't really make you much faster.

·
Registered
575 Posts
x2 really the only thing you need to worry about is keeping your transmission temperatures down and like silverstreak said, a trans cooler will do that for u.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No one has mentioned the TCM/ECM fun you'll have trying to swap out an auto for a manual. There are a number of sensors in the tranny and you'd end up with CELs unless you can figure out a way to fool the TCM/ECM!

·
Registered
575 Posts
That goes back to our wonderful OBD-II computers and how many damn sensors we have in our cars.

·
Registered
768 Posts
No one has mentioned the TCM/ECM fun you'll have trying to swap out an auto for a manual. There are a number of sensors in the tranny and you'd end up with CELs unless you can figure out a way to fool the TCM/ECM!
I know how......
1. take out ECM
2. set it on the ground
3. get a BFH
4. SMASH AWAY!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I personally dont think it would be worth the time money or frustration

·
Registered
768 Posts
I third that! That's what I love about my lemans! swap it out and just make sure you put the positives and negitives in the right place and you're good to go

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 6T70e used in the bigger cars(Aura, G6, Malibu, Outlook, Acadia, LaCrosse, etc...) is MUCH larger than the 4T45e in your Balt. so physically fitting in will be an issue. The ECOTEC has a different bellhousing pattern than the 3.6L v6 so you'd need an adapter to even bolt in into place. you'd need a custom flywheel for the ECO because its different than the bolt pattern on the torque converter in the 6spd. You'd need a 6T70 its harness and TCM which at the current time would run BIG bucks because there just arent that many out there. You'd have to have a way to TUNE the 6T70's control module because the ECO and the 3.6 have completely different power outputs and charactersistics and the Balt is alot lighter than anything the 6T comes in. This tuning ability is not available anywhere outside of GMPT Engineering as far as I know. You'd need custom axles. You'd need custom trans mount brackets. And this is all assuming the thing even FITS.

Its not worth it. if you wanna drag race, drop in a converted 4T65e, itll take all the power youre likely to EVER make and they are much cheaper and known to fit. if you wanna road race pickup an F35-5 and bolt'er in. all the parts are available over the counter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very, very true, the best way I can figure to "fool" the ECM is to reprogram it with a different VIN from a different car. Like one that came from the factory with a 5 speed, like mine. The problem is you'd have to reprogram everything because just programming the ECM with a different VIN will give you theft deterrent codes and the car won’t start. Even then there is no guarantee that your factory options work because of all the BCM option differences. Then again never know till you try :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.