Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 automatic. I had a issue with rough start off and rough shifting first to second. I replaced the shift solenoid for 1-2 and 3-4. I got everything back together and topped off the fluid. I started the car and shifted into each selection and paused. I did this sever times. I then Slightly reved the engine for each selection. I never got the jolt with the car going j to any gear. Now when the car comes out of park it acts like it's on neutral. Any suggestions on what I may have missed or to check?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you remove the transmission fluid pan? If so had you replaced the filter at the same time? Sometimes when replacing the trans filter the old seal may be stuck inside the pick up tube hole. If a new seal was installed on top of the old one it can cause problems. Also if the seal came out and was not replaced, meaning no seal is in place, it can cause fluid to bypass the pick up and may not suck up fluid. On this transmission, the 4T45E, the pan should push the filter up causing the pick up tube to push into the transmission so it’s not really likely to misposition the filter. But that’s possible.

Another possibility is one of the other seals or o-rings was accidentally left off on one of the parts that were replaced. Again causing fluid to bypass where it’s supposed to go. Try to think of the items you’ve replaced and if there were any seals or o-rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you remove the transmission fluid pan? If so had you replaced the filter at the same time? Sometimes when replacing the trans filter the old seal may be stuck inside the pick up tube hole. If a new seal was installed on top of the old one it can cause problems. Also if the seal came out and was not replaced, meaning no seal is in place, it can cause fluid to bypass the pick up and may not suck up fluid. On this transmission, the 4T45E, the pan should push the filter up causing the pick up tube to push into the transmission so it’s not really likely to misposition the filter. But that’s possible.

Another possibility is one of the other seals or o-rings was accidentally left off on one of the parts that were replaced. Again causing fluid to bypass where it’s supposed to go. Try to think of the items you’ve replaced and if there were any seals or o-rings.
I did replace the filter first in the hopes that it was just a clogged filter. I made sure to remove and replace the filter seal. I drove the car and the problem continued so I moved onto the shift solenoids. The only gaskets I am aware of for the solenoids is the o-ring on the solenoid shaft. both solenoids I removed I made sure had them and the ones that I installed had them as well.

I did go back out and play with the car some more. I think I may have an issue with the shift linkage as opposed to something clogged? I admit I havent done a ton of research but from what I read the shift out of park puts me into "neutral" which suggests that that switch is good. I tried going into reverse with a quick pull and I felt the transmission do something. The result wasnt what I expected/wanted but the car somehow ended up under power going forward.... yes going forward despite being in reverse. The car went into park and when I tried the same maneuver with the shifter I could not reproduce what it did. any more thoughts?

·
Registered
494 Posts
That’s a possibility too. I assumed that they knew how to check the fluid level considering the kind of parts being replaced. Too low of fluid and it may not engage the gears. Too much fluid and it may work until driven. Too much fluid will foam up inside and the hydraulics do not work correctly when air is introduced to the fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s a possibility too. I assumed that they knew how to check the fluid level considering the kind of parts being replaced. Too low of fluid and it may not engage the gears. Too much fluid and it may work until driven. Too much fluid will foam up inside and the hydraulics do not work correctly when air is introduced to the fluid.
As far as I am aware, I fill until fluid comes out the hole that is located on the passenger side just below the cv. When the trans didnt engage I decided to add another quart of transmission fluid just in case I was wrong or I was on too much of an incline and that didnt do anything. I plan on opening that plug back up to drain back down. I havent been back into the linkage yet as its been too hot after work during the week to monkey with. Crossing my fingers I did something dumb there. Please keep the thoughts coming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I have a bit of an update. I made sure the linkage was attached and that the trans was in park when I re-attached. could hear the door locks going in and out of park. I got the car in and out of park and I felt something. The car will go forward under its own power. The problem is that in every selection the car will go forward. Is it possible to somehow cross the connectors between the solenoids? any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts