Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I own an '08 9:29:59 LT with manual transmission. It has 112000 km on it. I've owned it from new.

Yesterday I was at jiffy lube and got my oil changed as well as a transmission fluid flush. I don't think it has ever been done before. There was no problems with the gears before but now if I shift too fast the gears will grind. The only way to prevent this I full second pause in neutral. It is mostly 3rd to 4th however 2nd to 3rd will do it too.

I went back to jiffy lube and they swear the fluid level is right. The even did a second flush and still has this problem. The used the right fluid as the receipt matches my owners manual

What could have caused this?
Could jiffy lube broken something?
How do I fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
From my research online I've been told not to use dex 6 as it can cause gear grinding. Just find some good ol dex 3 and I think it needs to be h spec.

Sent from the sexy electrician

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

My cobalt could never accept a fast shift from the time I got it. Always grinded going into any gear super fast.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dex 6 is what they used. This is what it says to use in the owners manual. I'm not a race car driver so shifting fast was not usually done. I could however go from 3rd straight to 4th without pausing in between. Now if I don't pause it will grind.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Only time it'd grind on mine is when I would skip from 2nd stright to 5th, usually when I'd blast it on on-ramps. Now I just shift up normally. Car doesn't like to rush gear changes, but I can do it pretty quickly without slipping the clutch or grinding.

Flushed and replaced the ATF 30k kilometers ago with Dex VI. Cured some of my sticky/notchy shifter issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fast shifts shouldn't really cause any grinding so I get why you're mad. I mean, I shift as fast as I want and no issues. I would suggest going to GM and getting it done so they use GM fluid. I have 155,000km (96,312mi) and I've flushed it twice, only using GM fluid and haven't had any issues (GM MTF Fluid).

You used km in your description so I assume you're from Canada. Whereabouts?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm with PJ here, only time I've ever had an issue was second to fifth, and if you let the RPM's drop it won't do that. I drained and replaced mine myself with Royal Purple Max ATF probably 10k ago without an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.