Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08 cobalt ls sedan. its a 5 speed. i notice sometimes the transmission will grind a bit when shifting to 3rd or 4th even with the clutch all the way down. the times i noticed it the most was when i would first start out driving like when the car wasn't totally warmed up. once the car is warmed up it seems to be fine. is this a big problem? should i go and tell the dealer about it? thanx

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
check your tranny fluid levels, they might be low. When you start driving the vehicle after a lengthly cool down period, the tranny fluid thickens, not much, but enough. Once the temperature in the trans. gets warm enough, the fluid thins out, and thus lubricates the parts. Not enough fluid could cause premature wear and tear of the parts in the trans. due to lack of lubrication.

The other issue could be your synchros going, had that looked at yet?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill definitly have to check those levels. im going to get an oil change pretty soon so ill have the dealer look at it then. hopefully its not something serious.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ill definitly have to check those levels. im going to get an oil change pretty soon so ill have the dealer look at it then. hopefully its not something serious.
If it is, it should be under warranty

but hopefully not *cross fingers*

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
i have an 08 cobalt ls sedan. its a 5 speed. i notice sometimes the transmission will grind a bit when shifting to 3rd or 4th even with the clutch all the way down. the times i noticed it the most was when i would first start out driving like when the car wasn't totally warmed up. once the car is warmed up it seems to be fine. is this a big problem? should i go and tell the dealer about it? thanx
ah so its not just me i have the 08 sport and does the same thing i find if you shift slower like in a more fluid motion it wont do it. kinda like shifting to n first then the next gear but fast enough for it to be a fluid motion

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from the noob

ah so its not just me i have the 08 sport and does the same thing i find if you shift slower like in a more fluid motion it wont do it. kinda like shifting to n first then the next gear but fast enough for it to be a fluid motion
I have the same symptoms in my 08 sport 5spd. Hi guys, sorry to jump in like this as a noob.

The thing that frustrates me is that Helminc don't have the FSM's for sale yet, I'd like to know what's wrong with GM on this one.

I can make mine grind if I shift too fast from 3rd to 4th and other symptoms are it is very difficult to get it to go into a gear at rest. I have pulled the floor mat back from that bend in the floor at the clutch pedal contact point so I know I'm doing the pedal to the floor when I shift.

I just hate going to the dealer with an issue if I don't know the solution to the issue.

Front wheel configs are foreign to me, as this is my first FWD manual trans car, so I need the FSM so I can "see" how it's made so I can try to figure out what is wrong & then how to correct the issue. I know one thing, this behavior is not the way it's supposed to work.....if the system in my zf6spd behaves like this, you have an issue that needs attention....but that's a rail type box, so balky shifter movement = bad clutch hydralics or a bent clutch pedal arm.

If anyone has any ideas I'd sure thank ya for sharing the light!

TIA
Tom

·
Registered
575 Posts
Like cobaltkrazy said check your sychros since we do have synchronized trannies, you might have that problem. Idk if ur fluid would be low especially that new. You usually don't have top check man trans fluid till 50k and up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.