Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I notice that sometimes when the car sits for long periods (a full day or so) a small puddle of trans fluid on the passenger side. This is probably about 2 inches in diameter and it's not all the time either and when it does happen, it's when the car hasn't been ran in about a day (full 24 hrs or more).

I took a look and it's hard to pin point where it is coming from. But I do notice its coming from above somewhere towards the top of the engine. If I take off the dust cover I don't really see any extreme fluid dripping other than some wetness in a little crevice right above the serpentine belt pulley area.

If there was a dipstick I would just check it every so often and top it off, but because there isn't I can't know for sure there is a lot being lost or not. Are there any problematic areas on this car that would cause this? I looked at the seal near the cv axle and it's dry so it isn't that. The car just hit 90k, and I did flush the transmission fluid around 55k and haven't had any issues until recent.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only known troublesome area with the auto is the cooling lines going to the radiator. Line fittings have been known to fail.

·
Registered
170 Posts
further more there is a check, you get to it through the wheel well. There are two plugs, the higher one is the check plug, the other is the drain plug. the flush might be the plug not being tight enough as well, depending on who did it and how.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
further more there is a check, you get to it through the wheel well. There are two plugs, the higher one is the check plug, the other is the drain plug. the flush might be the plug not being tight enough as well, depending on who did it and how.
If I open it will I have to worry about losing any fluid? And how can I tell if it's within limits?

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I open it will I have to worry about losing any fluid? And how can I tell if it's within limits?

Thanks
Note the emphasis below on: "WITH ENGINE RUNNING" My understanding is that if you do the check with the engine off, you will lose quite a bit of fluid from the "check Plug"

Other members of the forum may give additional advice, but here is some info from the internet:

Q:
How do I check the transmission fluid in my 2007 Chevy Cobalt LT?
Update: Is that the plug for me to fill it, or the drain plug?

Answers

Best Answer: The transmission fluid temperature must at least 104°F (40° C). Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Place in park and remove vent cap. Raise vehicle WITH ENGINE RUNNING with vehicle in park. Remove transmission oil level control plug. Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the plug hole. If fluid is low, add fluid in increments of 0.5 quarts until fluid drains from the plug hole Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Install plug and tighten to 9 lb ft (12 Nm). Install fluid vent cap.

NOTE: It is necessary to have the vehicle lifted on a hoist in order to have the vehicle level and high enough to be able to get under it, I would have it checked the next time you take your vehicle in for routine service!
Source(s):

28 Year Master, L-1 Technician/ Chevrolet Factory Service Manual

Image:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/074T45MN5LoR.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
you sure that's the correct plug 75greygremlin? Mine is completely different from that. I guess maybe it's different on manual transmissions than automatic ones.
Absolutely the manual and auto trannys are different.

When you mentioned "transmission fluid" in your OP, I assumed you had an automatic. The manual transmissions usually use a heavier gear oil, such as 75W90.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.