Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a transmission kit for my 06 chevy cobalt for less than a 100. Dollars. Please help. And I live in mississippi near pearl do u know anybody that would put the kit in n not charge alot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You would be better off finding a used transmission. Anyone who rebuilds transmissions and is worth a crap will have to charge a good amount for labor. Hopefully you’ll find a nice transmission guy who knows what he’s doing and will allow you to bring your own parts. I’d really consider a used tranny since they are usually only a few hundred bucks. But it is a gamble putting a used tranny in. It might work for a while, then again it might not and you’ll be back to looking for another option.

Then the thing is with a rebuilt tranny, sometimes they don’t last too long. We had our ‘02 Honda Accord’s tranny rebuilt by a shop who I’ve always thought was reputable and have used for customers cars many times. It’s been about 7 years and around 25,000 miles of basically in town driving. It now has almost the same shifting problem it had to begin with. Not only that, the case of the transmission is leaking where the two halves go together. It also is making the fluid foam up when you look inside to check the fluid level. But this is just my bad experience with a rebuilt unit. But for $2300 I would expect better.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A trans for less than $100 probably is not going to happen. We don't know if you have the auto or manual either. Also finding someone that will do the job cheap is tough. A transmission is not a short job, and time is money. You can search around. If you have an auto 2.2/2.4 you the GM 4T45E, if you hava a manual you have the getrag f23 trans. If you have 2.0/SS you have a Saab F35. They can get pricey, and you have to consider that there may not be one close you have to ship it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts