Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2.2L. So far, the only aftermarket parts I have on it is the K&N Typhoon cold air intake, and a free flow exhaust (with the cat still on). I looked at some stand-alone programmers but it's almost near impossible to find one for the 2006 model and even if I did it doesn't seem to do anything for the car. So, I found Trifecta through numerous searches but I'm still skeptical about it. Before I fork out the $300 for the tune, is it worth the money with the mods I have? I plan on getting headers sometime but the guys at WOT tuning said they didn't need to send a new tune to work with the headers, the current one would work. What I'm really looking for is a better throttle response and a little pull into my seat. So, before I buy, I wanted to get other peoples opinion, preferably from people who have used Trifecta and with the similar model Cobalt as mine.

--Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I keep up with SC'd cars till 4th gear if that helps your decision. Definately helps if you keep the cable for retunes or upgrades down the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the opinions guys. I have a 5 speed so shift timing wont be an issue for me. It's pretty cool you can keep up with a SC (I'm assuming that means supercharged) cobalt. I live in Alaska where %75 of tuner cars here are WRX's and STI's so it would be nice if I could keep up from them if they're stock.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Keep in mind they are AWD so they might beat you because of lauching and yes, SC means super charged.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would wait til you get your header/downpipe setup before the tune, otherwise, youll have to order a re-tune and spend more $$. Trifecta is good for just a basic tune for all climate conditions and altitudes. If you get one around your tri-state area, it will benefit far as Horsepower goes, but I would say Trifecta is decent enough.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
OP is a 06. No tuner other than Trifecta and EFI support the base 2.2 because it used a unique PCM. I agree with waiting to be fully bolted if you do not plan on keeping the cable, but you do not pay for additional tunes if you are just adding a TB or an intake. Only if you get cams, FI, or something similar.

Also, you get a base tune to get your car running. You then data log it (which you can do at a dyno) to get more specific results for your location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. Unfortunately I don't think there is any local shop in my area that does tuning, so Trifecta is really the only option for me. When I talked to someone at WOT tuning, they told me that as long as I keep the cable, if I add another bold-on such as a header, I would simply have to plug it in and modify the tune I originally purchased. From what they said, the only thing that would give reason for buying a whole new tune is if I put a supercharger or turbocharger on there. Do you think this is true?

--And of course a WRX is going to win hands down, but it would be nice to at least keep up rather than be a mile behind XP

--Never mind I didn't realize you already answered my question in the previous post lol yes I do plan on keeping the cable for that very reason.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I am hoping you did not read my post right before you decided to pose this question, lol. That is exactly what I said.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Welcome to the forum btw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did realize that lol I kinda sped read through it so I didn't catch that until a moment ago. At any rate, I think the tune and a set of headers will be my last upgrades for a little while. Do you know which headers you would recommend?

--And thanks!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Depends on your performance goals. Most of us end up with the badmab shorty header, but I personally had the pacesetter long tube for a while that worked well and zzp has short, mid, and long tubes for sale as well. All are good products and price/ performance goals should drive your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn I've never even heard of the badmab shorty headers until you just mentioned it, those seem like a helluva lot easier to install without having to take it to the local muffler shop to get it welded! And it's in my price range as well.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I think they come out of NC so you might want to check if it will cost extra to ship to AK. All short headers will bolt right up. ZZP also sells a DP that most of us get to go with the header.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a website called shopthe48.com that let's me pay whole sale price to ship to AK, so even if they don't ship up here I can ship it to the address on the website. It's pretty nifty for people who live in Alaska or Hawaii.
I had a hard time finding shorty headers for the cobalt, all I could find usually were the pacesetter headers or the OBX ones, which would require some modification and some welding.
I guess in a sense I would like to bolt on a budget, so the shorty headers will work out for me. I'm gonna check out the down pipe as well.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Look into hp tuners

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
HPTuners wont work on his 06 balt. Trifecta is his only option.

Get the shorty header first before the tune, actually, get all the bolt ons first you want. Trying to save you a few hundred $'s. A tune for just an exhaust and intake wont gain you anything you can feel. Maybe 4-6 WHP, but that's only 2% gain.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the opinions guys. I have a 5 speed so shift timing wont be an issue for me. It's pretty cool you can keep up with a SC (I'm assuming that means supercharged) cobalt. I live in Alaska where %75 of tuner cars here are WRX's and STI's so it would be nice if I could keep up from them if they're stock.
Where in Alaska? I just moved from there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
wait 06 ls will keep up with sc ss up to 4th gear? what mods, and stock sc right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.