Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would It be a good idea to remove HP and tq limiters or do they remove them when you get there more aggressive tune

I'm prolly not making much sense here am I lol new to the whole tune thing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I wouldn't go on HP or TQ limiters, unless your going forced induction :) Far as a tune goes, they just need to know what bolt ons are currently installed so they can make more power in the air/fuel mixture, that's really all Trifecta does in powerband, us technicians call it Volumetric Efficiency.

I would just get the tune and have them remove your speed limiter as well. That's about it from trifecta for a 2.2L :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So leave the HP and TQ limiters go I already have gotten my second tune (need to data log again) and they turns my timing up and would like some more power (got a wait for turbo charging)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
there's no hp/tq limiters. just rev and speed limiters
Hey bankerbalt, didn't GM put a 260 limit (power/torque) on just the SS's?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Vince at Trifecta can do almost the same stuff as hptuners. Amd your car is tq limited, but with a tune tgat should be tuned out already.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Vince at Trifecta can do almost the same stuff as hptuners. Amd your car is tq limited, but with a tune tgat should be tuned out already.
I didn't know they were, learn something new everyday from here :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Hey bankerbalt, didn't GM put a 260 limit (power/torque) on just the SS's?
On the lnf ss's yes. And it wasnt based on actual numbers but a nominal output %.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Really, the only way to get more power and it really wont be that much with just a tune is by adding an air/fuel cooler (aka meth injection/e85) and do some raping on the timing tables. That wont net you much tho.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Lol ya I know I think when I get my truck back on the road I'll put rods and pistons in save up then turbo

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Lol this thread has more views then my show off lmao oh well

Rods/pistons would be a good start, but I would buy a wrecked lot block and just use the block alone, nothing else, then build onto that all of your internals. I would go with low compression dish pistons, billet connecting rods, cast iron crankshaft, and get the pistons that have the same bore/stroke rate as OEM or slightly larger bore, less stroke cause that turbocharger will get them pistons moving fast.

For your turbo kit, once you have your block ready, get all the measurements, CC's, bore/stroke, intake/exhaust valves, cam lobes on each one in thousandths measurements, call up garett turbos and a tech there can advise you what size turbo to go with to get the correct pressure. Greddy/Horsepowerfreaks/HKS/Turbonetics/and the no namers don't have that info and no guarantee that your engine can withstand that type of turbo. Turbo kits are just foolish ricer bolt ons, next thing after 20-30k usage, their scratching their heads at why one of the pistons leaned out and blew their block.

Just some words of advice :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
When you order Trifecta there is a radio button option to remove the trans limitter or not. I'm pretty sure the rev limiter is automatically set to 8k, but he adjusted the tables so that there is almost no point to going that far in one gear.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
keep the same stroke unless you want to try and make a stroker motor... stock crank on our cars are going to be fine unless you're looking over 500. your weakest point after doing rods and pistons (which i regret not doing), is your sleeves. getting a dry sleeve from bates will allow you to handle much more power. if you're looking to rev high and do that quite often, you're going to want at LEAST valve springs. i'd also suggest neutral balance shafts or the delete kit. i agree with lowering compression in order to make more boost safely. make sure to get ARP studs and a good head gasket too. if you have questions about rebuilding your engine stronger, let me know

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.