Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i remember awhile back my father told me a story about one of his friends. This was back in the late 60's early 70's when everyone was driving muslce cars, camaros, chevelles, etc. He said one of his friends drove his mother old lady car and wanted to make it faster so he bent the gas peddle up wards inside the car so he can press it down harder to let more gas into the engine. My father said it worked, it didnt turn it into like a 12 sec car, but it was definatly faster then before. Do you think this is true. And no i dont plan on trying it on my car dont worry. just wondering if my dad was pulling my leg.

·
Registered
594 Posts
sounds like a Scooby Doo mystery

·
Registered
869 Posts
So i remember awhile back my father told me a story about one of his friends. This was back in the late 60's early 70's when everyone was driving muslce cars, camaros, chevelles, etc. He said one of his friends drove his mother old lady car and wanted to make it faster so he bent the gas peddle up wards inside the car so he can press it down harder to let more gas into the engine. My father said it worked, it didnt turn it into like a 12 sec car, but it was definatly faster then before. Do you think this is true. And no i dont plan on trying it on my car dont worry. just wondering if my dad was pulling my leg.
No matter how you set the gas pedal, the throttle cable only goes back so far. There's no wide open throttle and then "wider open throttle" lol. I'd call bs on the old man.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Funny story....would have made a difference if the carpet was preventing the gas pedal from opening the carburetor or the throttle linkage wasn't adjusted right (lots of 60's cars had adjustable linkages and most didn't open up 100%). But just to make it clear -- not EVERYONE drove musclecars back then -- most cars were still the basic "meat-and-potato" transport vehicles. You didn't see Hemis, SS 454s, GSXs, GT500s, etc on a daily basis unless a neighbor happened to own one:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes it would have worked if the throttle cable was already adjusted to it's max. My '70 C10 Stepside is that way. When I push the gas pedal to the floor, it literally hits the floor. My friend and I bent it a lil, now it goes down further. It all depends on the type of vehicle though. You can make adjustments to the linkage, but that only does so much. When you mess with that too, you also run the risk of screwing with the rpm's while the vehicle is at idle.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yes it would have worked if the throttle cable was already adjusted to it's max. My '70 C10 Stepside is that way. When I push the gas pedal to the floor, it literally hits the floor. My friend and I bent it a lil, now it goes down further. It all depends on the type of vehicle though. You can make adjustments to the linkage, but that only does so much. When you mess with that too, you also run the risk of screwing with the rpm's while the vehicle is at idle.
You'd be much better off adjusting the throttle linkage then bending your pedal. The only way this pedal bending thing would work is if your linkage is not set right and it's preventing you from achieving WOT. This wouldn't work on our cars due to the fly by wire system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh, I know it would never work on our cars. I just putting it out there that yes, it does work. My '70 was set up right, but we wanted to see what it would do if we did bend the gas peddle. Thankfully, we did that before we restored the interior.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny story....would have made a difference if the carpet was preventing the gas pedal from opening the carburetor or the throttle linkage wasn't adjusted right (lots of 60's cars had adjustable linkages and most didn't open up 100%). But just to make it clear -- not EVERYONE drove musclecars back then -- most cars were still the basic "meat-and-potato" transport vehicles. You didn't see Hemis, SS 454s, GSXs, GT500s, etc on a daily basis unless a neighbor happened to own one:)
I thought the Pontiac GTO was a bestseller and also a badass muscle car...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I thought the Pontiac GTO was a bestseller and also a badass muscle car...
I just drove a 600 mile round trip in Florida....didn't see a single Cobalt SS/SC, Hemi equipped MOPAR, or GTO. Same thing back then -- most people in the 60s and 70s bought family cars and station wagons so you didn't see fire breathing muscle cars everywhere everyday....only in the movies...lol!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just drove a 600 mile round trip in Florida....didn't see a single Cobalt SS/SC, Hemi equipped MOPAR, or GTO. Same thing back then -- most people in the 60s and 70s bought family cars and station wagons so you didn't see fire breathing muscle cars everywhere everyday....only in the movies...lol!
I'm sure you saw lots of HEMI Mopars...they were just all trucks lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hahaha wow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
True

This is absolutely true. In fact, it is well known that some manufacturers sold cars with the throttle that would not open all the way. This was done to lower the HP of the car in testing to gain a more favorable rating (thus lowering initial and insurance costs).

It is an 'old racers trick'. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and hold the pedal down to the floor, while a 2nd guy looked down the carb barrels to make sure of WOT.

On the cobalt with drive-by-wire throttle, the on-board computer tells the throttle how far to open. Since the computer can adjust the throttle anytime it wants, the only way we could check that (in the method described above) is running down the road . The position of the pedal is only a 'suggestion' to the computer of what the driver wants to do.

Want proof? Try to go past redline, the computer will take control of the throttle and do what it wants.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my father still swears he is telling the truth.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think the gist of this thread is that it could have happened -- due to the fact that a lot of 60's cars had adjustable throttle linkages. It could have been that bending the linkage made it clear carpet interference or any number of things.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
for you youngsters out there...VERY few cars in the 60's had throttle CABLES -- most had mechanical linkage and were adjustable.

...and thanks for resurrecting an old thread....LoL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.