Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 LS 2.2l and neither my trunk light (replaced bulb) or trunk release button (replaced 20a fuse) will work. Searching forum/internet isn't helping.

Manual locks/windows so no key fob. I know the buttons are highly prone to failure and they're $13 online but since the light won't work I'm not sure that's the issue.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I thought the trunk release button was tied into the 12v accessory fuse. Have you checked to make sure both outlets are working?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes both outlets work. I saw a thread where it said you can test the button by shorting it. Would that mean disconnecting the button and McGyver using a paper clip to touch the contacts?

Do you know what fuse the trunk light runs off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just drove with the trunk open and it didn't give the trunk ajar message.

Now I ponder if it's worth buying a used $25 trunk actuator on ebay for the light and the release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Fixed with a used replacement off eBay. For anyone who digs this up, the part for the sedan and coupe is the same but the lock mechanism is different. On the LS sedan there is a highly engineered (sarcasm :)) bent piece of metal that you have to unclip with needle nose pliers while trying not to scratch your car.

Nice having a working trunk light and release. Like my front door speakers, I suspect moisture caused this failure and would recommend putting a Ziploc bag over the top with a couple of desiccant packets thrown in. It will be out of site so it won't be an odd looking repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts