Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so december 29th 2013 i bought a 07 balt ls, great car i may add, and the guy i bought it off didnt use the trunk, so it wont open with a key, and well ofcourse now i cant fold down the seats to get to open it.... and the button doesnt work (a fuse?) so basically my problem here is, i left my lights on one night, and now my battery is dead, and i need to boost it from the rear, and i cant get it open, any possible way i can get the trunk open from the inside? or can anyone tell me the trunk fuse so i can check it out?

or just any advice would help :D

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Why do you need to boost it from the rear when it has Jump posts in the engine bay?

Also, does the key itself not work, or does the latch not release? Or is it just frozen shut?

As far as the seats, could be the releases are frozen shut on them too. That's a very common thing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you need to boost it from the rear when it has Jump posts in the engine bay?

Also, does the key itself not work, or does the latch not release? Or is it just frozen shut?

As far as the seats, could be the releases are frozen shut on them too. That's a very common thing.
well i tried the front today. nothing all i get is a click from like the starter, as it wants to kick over.... its -8 degrees here in canada, i mean thats nothing, so someone suggested the back battery so im not sure thats why im asking..

the key goes in the back , but as i said it wasnt used alot so the wires may be stiff etc?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Well clicking means there is REALLY low power. Put a charger on the boost points for a little bit and then try.

The battery is located in the back by the spare tire yes, that is why it is recommended to go there.

I'd get some lock de-ice and some PB blaster. If the key goes in the back but doesn't turn, there are no cables/wires that control it as the lock cylinder is a part of the trunk latch/release. Try spraying lock de-ice in there and try to turn the key (careful not to break it). If that doesn't work, spray some PB blaster in there and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and try the key (repeat as many times as necessary).

Sounds to me like because it hasn't been used often it's just froze up (either due to ice or corrosion) and my suggestions will free it up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well clicking means there is REALLY low power. Put a charger on the boost points for a little bit and then try.

The battery is located in the back by the spare tire yes, that is why it is recommended to go there.

I'd get some lock de-ice and some PB blaster. If the key goes in the back but doesn't turn, there are no cables/wires that control it as the lock cylinder is a part of the trunk latch/release. Try spraying lock de-ice in there and try to turn the key (careful not to break it). If that doesn't work, spray some PB blaster in there and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and try the key (repeat as many times as necessary).

Sounds to me like because it hasn't been used often it's just froze up (either due to ice or corrosion) and my suggestions will free it up.

\perfect ill have to try that out once i go to the store, hopefully that works.

so boost the back once i get the trunk open, anyway to get it open from the inside without using the button? and does that button use a fuse?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yes that button uses a fuse, and besides the seat folding down and using the safety release, not really.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If your battery is dead you won't be able to release the trunk electricaly. Fuse is probably good. Do like Livee says, charge your battery using the boost post and one of the screws or nuts on top of the strut tower for ground. Give it 30 minutes then try to open the trunk and start your car. (Open trunk first before killing battery with a try start so you won't be in same predicament).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Coby you Can open the trunk by applying power to the front jumper post

I shut my shaved trunk lid once after I just removed my battery
So I had no battery but still got the trunk open with the release button
By putting power to the post under the hood

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
378 Posts
So if the op has applied power to the post and tried popping the trunk via key fob or button there's an underlying issue else where, fuse, button, ect

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.