Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an issue where the trunk does not pop open after hitting the trunk release button on the key fob. The rearlights will turn on and off and i can hear a click coming from the trunk when i touch the trunk button but it does not open the trunk. I have been using my key to manually open the trunk. could it be a fuse, key fob itselr, or something deeper?

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Cobalt trunk is hard to open under the best of conditions. It could use a handle. Are you saying the trunk does not pop up a bit, or it is not unlocking at all? If you hear the solenoid clicking then the fob is probably OK. I would suspect either the lock itself may be shot, the solenoid is not unlatching the lock, or the lift pistons are too weak to pop it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cobalt trunk is hard to open under the best of conditions. It could use a handle. Are you saying the trunk does not pop up a bit, or it is not unlocking at all? If you hear the solenoid clicking then the fob is probably OK. I would suspect either the lock itself may be shot, the solenoid is not unlatching the lock, or the lift pistons are too weak to pop it up.
both, trunk doesnt automatically pop up and cant be pushed up with my hande either

·
Registered
313 Posts
OK then the solenoid is not unlocking the trunk lock or the lock is being stubborn or the trunk release relay is weak. Open the trunk and have someone operate the fob [do you also have an unlock button up at the dash?] and watch the lock mechanism. I had a Sunfire with a similar mechanism and I had to replace the solenoid. It was too weak to operate the lock. On mine the solenoid was piggy-backed to the lock mechanism and I could replace it by unscrewing it. I think the Cobalt uses an assembly that requires the entire thing be replaced and that is a bit expensive. Since the key works it means the lock is not broken but may be sticking. Maybe a little WD40 or something to loosen the thing up. Try that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have an issue where the trunk does not pop open after hitting the trunk release button on the key fob. The rearlights will turn on and off and i can hear a click coming from the trunk when i touch the trunk button but it does not open the trunk. I have been using my key to manually open the trunk. could it be a fuse, key fob itselr, or something deeper?
If you are hearing a click but it isn't opening its because the trunk lid got sat on and it pushed the lock mechanism down and it needs to be readjusted . So just re adjust the mechanism

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK then the solenoid is not unlocking the trunk lock or the lock is being stubborn or the trunk release relay is weak. Open the trunk and have someone operate the fob [do you also have an unlock button up at the dash?] and watch the lock mechanism. I had a Sunfire with a similar mechanism and I had to replace the solenoid. It was too weak to operate the lock. On mine the solenoid was piggy-backed to the lock mechanism and I could replace it by unscrewing it. I think the Cobalt uses an assembly that requires the entire thing be replaced and that is a bit expensive. Since the key works it means the lock is not broken but may be sticking. Maybe a little WD40 or something to loosen the thing up. Try that and see if it helps.
so i used the button on the dash to try opening the trunk and it made no sound and didnt open. could it be an electrical issue? perhaps a fuse? when i bought the cobalt another fuse was out so maybe more are.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If the dash button does not open it then I would check the fuse. Again, open it with the key and while open test both the button and the fob. You can test the fob by getting a friendly tire shop to use their TPMS tool on the fob. The fob and a TPMS sensor use the same frequency and the tool will let you know if the fob is transmitting. Since the solenoid that unlocks the trunk lock is fairly powerful you should be able to clearly hear it operate if it is working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts