284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i made this diagram on paint bucket so dont bash haha

this is what i am planing on doing, keep in mind i have the dual by pass valve

ok so i added a new intercooler into the mix
a tank to hold more fuild thus easier to keep cool
and it has the dual bypass mod

what are your thoughts on this...
and am a correct in my diagram (direction of flow ect.....)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Seems like it would be ok to me...from what i see ..how big of an intercooler though ?

R

·
0 Posts
my best friend did a mod someone what similiar to that. I believe he has the stock exhcanger and added a 2nd heat exchanger as well. looks cool

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yeah ima i know, (heatexchanger) but alot of people dont know what that is.... GM does say it is a intercooled supercharger... its just a air-liquid intercooler (or its the other way around... not sure how u say it)

but yes i will get a long but not to tall heat exchanger and mount it in the front in the lower grill space.

i just want to make sure i have the flow set up correctly...

Recarobalt_RLC added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

my best friend did a mod someone what similiar to that. I believe he has the stock exhcanger and added a 2nd heat exchanger as well. looks cool

haha well i am not doing it to look cool...i am already cool haha.
i need it to keep my new set up somewhat cool, with the stage 4 kit on my car i run a high risk of over heating and melting internals....

hope fully 2 heatexchanger, extra coolant, and the methonal injection will keep her cool.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea man that should work out fine. All that fresh air getting into it from the grill cutout will def help.good luck

R

·
0 Posts
lol well he did it to keep his supercharger cool too. Works too. Just looks cool through his grill

·
Registered
673 Posts
EDIT: You know what **** it. I was going to post pictures of my intercooler which is a dual pass, and my second heat exchanger to show the difference but **** it. Blackbalt you can just go around telling everyone wrong information and lead this website astray. **** it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Dude just post the pics to help some people understand the difference and prove him wrong

·
Registered
230 Posts
Go cry a river IMA, you obviously don't know what you're talking about, as usual. The only time you have some good info is when you regurgitate what you buddy Adam says.

An intercooler, or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through isochoric cooling. A decrease in air intake temperature provides a denser intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine.

The inter prefix in the device name originates from historic compressor designs. In the past, aircraft engines were built with charge air coolers that were installed between multiple stages of supercharging, thus the designation of inter. Modern automobile designs are technically designated aftercoolers because of their placement at the end of supercharging chain. This term is now considered archaic in modern automobile terminology since almost all production vehicles have single-stage superchargers.

Intercoolers can vary dramatically in size, shape, and design, depending on the performance and space requirements of the entire supercharger system. Common spatial designs are front mounted intercoolers (FMIC), top mounted intercoolers (TMIC), hybrid mount intercoolers (HMIC). Each type can be cooled with an air-to-air system, air-to-liquid system, or a combination of both.

Don't you get tired of being wrong and throwing fits?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well here you go.

Cobalt SS dual pass intercooler end plate. (thanks to cobalt addiction for letting me steal the picture)

these are the laminovas that go into the the intercooler core which is located between the block and intake manifold.

This is a heat exchanger which goes on the front of a cobalt ss/sc.

It is not an intercooler, but congrats again on looking like a total tool Blackbalt. The heat exchangers that RLC is talking about is completely different then the intercooler on the cobalt SS/SC. You can ask anyone who knows anything about the cobalt ss. Which clearly you don't.

When I get around to installing my dual pass I'll post some really nice pictures of the laminovas on the intercooler core. Until then go **** yourself because you don't know half of what you think you do.

So go cry yourself a river.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You're the one saying an intercooler isn't a heat exchanger, which it is. The air to liquid intercooler cools the liquid and routes it through the intake to cool the intake charge, thus using the coolant in the system to absorb the heat from the intake and dissipate it in the intercooler core. The exact specifics with every car are different but it's the same basic idea.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ok, i like you Blackbalt, and i like you IMA; but someone needs to put an end to it!

back on topic: RLC, im still gonna call you that.....try it out. make a project out of it. see what happens.

blkbalt06 added 1 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

in theory, it looks like it would work

·
Registered
673 Posts
You're the one saying an intercooler isn't a heat exchanger, which it is. The air to liquid intercooler cools the liquid and routes it through the intake to cool the intake charge, thus using the coolant in the system to absorb the heat from the intake and dissipate it in the intercooler core. The exact specifics with every car are different but it's the same basic idea.
So wait? Are you saying your arguing theory over specifics? Damn it, I thought we were talking specifics here. Of course an intercooler is a heat exchanger, but in this case and the case of the Cobalt SS/SC the intercooler is not located in the front and is not the big intercooler thing. That is simply a heat exchanger.

I may be wrong and correct me on this if I am because I want to get it right, but I was always taught that to be called an intercooler it had to directly come in contact with the air charge. So like in an air to air intercooler the charge of air passes through the IC while air from the outside passes over the fins. This cools the charge of air. On a liquid to air the cooling is all done externally from the intercooler in a heat exchanger which cools the liquid down as it's passed through. Then it is sent back to the intercooler which then cools the charged air. The heat exchanger in this system is not an intercooler because it does not directly come in contact with charged air. That's how it's always been explained to me.

I think the problem here is you are arguing a broad general theory and I am talking about a Cobalt specific idea. Do you get what I'm saying? I think I get what you are saying.

S

·
0 Posts
jees...

I dunno about anyone else but that looks a lot like a combo of the GM "Option B" off of the dual-pass and a Cobra front-mount.

Pretty straight forward setup... lotsa folks have done it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah kinda likethe GM "option B".... i can tell you read a certain post on SS.net... haha.

but this end plate it modfied from the stock one not a relacement part, so i can save a lot of cash. but it does the samething for the most part. i alredy hooked it up as a single intercooled/heat exchanger set up with the dual bypass valve... now once i get my new intercooler/heat exchanger i will route that into the mix. i just had to finish it up real quick so we could start the car 4 testing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.