for my 05 cobalt LS it wouldnt hang right and it melted my bumper. I took it

to Midas to have it fixed and the metal hangers were welded wrong when the

exhaust was made again this isnt speed elements fault i just wanna give a

warning to those of you thinking of buying it other than this issue the exhaust

is great, its an awsome exhaust for so cheap and it is a full cat-back too

·
Registered
618 Posts
so it was hung wrong??? im looking at getting this exhaust.....so did midas f*** up or was it set up wrong outta the box??
-----Added 31 Mar 2009 at 12:18:27-----
also can you send/post some pics too id like to see it installed on a car besides the angle you get from speed element... thanks a bunch

·
Registered
618 Posts
also can you send/post some pics too id like to see it installed on a car besides the angle you get from speed element... thanks a bunch

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is the first I have ever heard of anyone ever having a problem with this exhaust and there are many cobalt owners that use it. Who installed the exhaust

·
Registered
618 Posts
ive had custom exhaust done on previous cars and no prob but never done a premade but i think if you get a quality shop then it wont b a prob...... i would like to c what an installed pic looks like

·
Registered
610 Posts
will it fit on an '08 sedan?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered it and i put the exhaust on from the cat back and the metal hangers wouldnt reach the rubber hangers so i had to hang it 1st then reconnect it to the midpipe amd it was touching the bumper which caused the melting i took it to midas and the guy told me the metal hangers were welded on backwards so it was wrong out of the box now im not saying all of these are messed up its a great exhaust for the price nice sound too but be careful incase tsudo messed up on a few of them i dont want you guys in my predicament. ill post a pic in a min.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So the aftermarket hangers were wrong? Or the factory ones? Since you know, if the factory hangers didn't fit with an aftermarket exhaust system that is hardly the manufacturer's fault lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I installed the exhaust on my Cobalt, I noticed it hung about 1/4 inch from the bumper. On first drive, I noticed plastic burning smell. It was the exhaust tip melting the bumper. Fortunately, I caught it WAY before a huge amount of damage was done. Just a little melting which caused the paint to crack where the plastic curled from the heat. It's not noticeable from 5 feet away. Nothing like yours.
I just bought some metal strapping and hung it from the factory hangers to the right height and center. I remember one other guy on here fab'ed some hangers, too. Look in the vendor section for Never Enough Auto and you'll see our posts about our install under Tsudo exhaust.
Anyway, bummer you didn't catch it earlier.
I'm loving the exhaust every time I drive! A few people have told me they like the sound better than the GMPP. I haven't heard that many GMPPs but I don't have any regrets about my purchase!

·
Registered
618 Posts
thats wierd that it melts the bumber but i think when i get mine ill have it set up to hang a little low so i dont get that issue...... but yea i like the way it looks and sounds too!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, not everybody had that problem. Just check it after you hang it and adjust if you need to. Then, enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone has a tsudo n-1 extreme system on a 2.2L cobalt LT, could you post a sound clip cause i was considering getting one installed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The noise lvl from this is great its quiet on start up, quiet on idle, and a good sound when going. and it was the manufacturers fault the metal hanger that was supposed to be on the left was on the right and vise versa. but midas just bent the metal hangers to drop it about a 1/4 of an inch. they didnt charge me anything to bend the hangers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
so it was hung wrong??? im looking at getting this exhaust.....so did midas f*** up or was it set up wrong outta the box??
-----Added 31 Mar 2009 at 12:18:27-----
Read carefully and you would understand. He said the the hangers were welded wrong from the manufacture

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.