Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Trifecta does not tune the 2.2 any more as far as I know. HP Tuners is the way to go for tuning. Unless you know how use HPT yourself, which I am assuming you do not becasue you asked the question, you will need some one who know how to write the tune. There are few options for this.

1. You can buy HTP and learn and tune yourself.
2. You can buy HPT have some else write the tune and you upload the the tune to your car using your own HPT.
3. You can find someone local that knows how to tune and have them tune your car using ther HPT.
4. ZZPerformance can tune you. You can order a tune from them and they can send you and ECU and you mail them back your orginal ECU.

My personal experiance with this:

ZZP is good at tuning. I was tuned buy a local guy in PA for my very frst tune. It cost about $350. It woke the car up a little bit, but it could have been better and left me wanting more. I moved to California, and needed to be retuned for 91 Octane since I previously tuned for 93. I ordered a tune from ZZP. I used the mail me an ECU option, so I paid the cost of the tune (discounted becasue I ordered on black friday) plus the core charge that is refunded when you mail the ECU back to them. This costed around $150 after my core charge refund. The tune was much better then the previous tune, and it still had room improvement if, I could data log, but since I did not own HPT at the time I could not. Fast forward 2 years later, I purchased HPT tuners for myself. I purchased it from ZZP through Ebay since I had an ebay discount code. The price was $250 after discount. Now that I had HPT I could datalog and get the tune dialed in. ZZP offers free revisions to the tune they wrote for you, so you can datalog and have them tweak the tune until its perfect.

With all that said. I usually recommend that anyone wanting to tune thier car buy HP Tuners for themself. It's kinda expensive at first but in the long run it pays for itself. I have seen people use a local tuner, like I did. So you pay $100 for the tuner to unlock your ECU to thier HPT and what ever the cost of the tune is for them. Now if you want to use some else to tune you, or that tuner moves away or quits, yo uneed to pay another $100 for credits to unlock your ECU on someone else HPT. If you own HPT yourself you can use any tuner in the country or even out of the country to tune you, email the files back back and for you and you only have to ever unlock your ECU on your own HPT once no matter how many different tuners you use.

Sorry this reply is so long, just wanted to get my experiacne out there. if you have questions let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What he said. ;) Sorry if I was passing on bad advice, I don't even know what a tune is and just wanted to be helpful by passing on the only info I remember seeing. I'm definitely going to read up on everything blu3_v1p3r said though and seeing how it can help me.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Here is the easiest way to tune.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ZZP's process is a little different for the 2.2 and 2.4. You can see that here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts