Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many piggy backs there are out now And what other types of tuning people are using. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no stand alones for us yet is that correct.

I was wondering if the scanners that the techs use could recalibrate the ECU.... Let's say rev limiter, governer, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, etc. Just a thought that came in to my head. Here's one from snap-on diagnostic tools

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe that will work. That's almost like a Nemesis or Genesis..which mechanics use to diagnose vehicles.
When I was in auto tech my teacher said that they have the ability to change stuff too. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i think you can change settings with a tech-2. That is what gm uses for a scanner, but I believe you can adjust settings, I could be wrong though. All the major tool companies like MAC, Matco, Snapon, and Cornwell, sell scanners. Mainly for information to the mechanic. You can turn relays on and off, just the basics. It will tell you stuff like A/F, and what not, but will not change factory settings. You might find a dealer that will reflash your ECM for you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i think you can change settings with a tech-2. That is what gm uses for a scanner, but I believe you can adjust settings, I could be wrong though. All the major tool companies like MAC, Matco, Snapon, and Cornwell, sell scanners. Mainly for information to the mechanic. You can turn relays on and off, just the basics. It will tell you stuff like A/F, and what not, but will not change factory settings. You might find a dealer that will reflash your ECM for you.
NO DEALER WILL REFLASH YOUR STOCK L61 ECM the only way that will happen is if you get stage I or II for the SS/SC. I kno cobalt addiction does reflash and tuning bu for their staged kits. Fuel deliveru and ignition timing is all we got right now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
if you got to crate engine depot they have the kit where you can upgrade to a 2.4 intake manifold.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah but you lose a lot of power in the low RPM though...that should be a supporting mod. Only if you have a few extra HP to back it up.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The only advantage you can get out of the Tech 2 stuff from your dealer is that they can turn off your SAI for you guys that have it. Otherwise it won't do you much good.

You can use megasquirt, but that's beyond the average user.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The only advantage you can get out of the Tech 2 stuff from your dealer is that they can turn off your SAI for you guys that have it. Otherwise it won't do you much good.

You can use megasquirt, but that's beyond the average user.
X2 read a book haha

but seriously, the only thing we got out is megasquirt which takes a lot of research and $$ and the AEM. AEM is nice because of it's plug and play harness ability. That is the unit i'm gonna go with. I don't see the reason to increase your RPM limiter unless u are doing FI AND uprading your valve train.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok so I talked to a guy who is an ASE Certified Mechanic and is ASE Certified in Parts as well and has been around cars all his life and works at Hendrick Autopark Honda (Big car dealership in Cary, NC) and he says that the Snap-On program will not tune your car. It will only play with normal settings and has programs to make it run like it's suppose to do, no extra hp. And there are some scanners from snap-on to run this program it costs 120/mnth to run certain vehicles (like GM's, Ford's, etc.) and on top of that the price tag for the machine is around $10,000. Yeah naw. So does that answer your question?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah **** that 10K for and RPM adjust no thanks. Why would u tune a car with no power adders or serious power free-ers like a P&P or a stroker kit or a raise in compression? You really aren't gonna get that much power or difference from an intake and mani tune yanno? Plus a higher RPM and revving to that 7K+ a lot can put stress on your cat converter and crack it plus again u will get valve float.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I talked to a guy who is an ASE Certified Mechanic and is ASE Certified in Parts as well and has been around cars all his life and works at Hendrick Autopark Honda (Big car dealership in Cary, NC) and he says that the Snap-On program will not tune your car. It will only play with normal settings and has programs to make it run like it's suppose to do, no extra hp. And there are some scanners from snap-on to run this program it costs 120/mnth to run certain vehicles (like GM's, Ford's, etc.) and on top of that the price tag for the machine is around $10,000. Yeah naw. So does that answer your question?
That answers that question. thanks.

As for the rev limiter...I'm not just trying to eliminate because I want to. I'm planning on going the turbo route and I have an auto.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good stuff man. I'm keeping my stock setting until i choose to run higher boost with forged internals and an upgraded valve train.

·
Registered
575 Posts
definately you should go to the aem site and look at the electronic performance forums. Tons of stuff on there.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i would definitally go with the AEM system if i were going for the FI route but as for now...just simple easy bolt ons

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.