Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am donig a lot of work to my cobalt next month and the location where I am having everything installed ie my garage is about 3 1/2 hours from where I am getting the tune done. I am installing as follows... Header/DP/Res/#50 Injects/2.8 pully/HE....I already have a GM stage 2 tune. Would it be safe to drive it those 3 1/2 hours to have it tuned?

thx in advance

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Umm, maybe. The injectors is what I'm looking at that isn't sitting well with me. If those injectors aren't scaled in correctly, they could dump a whole lot of fuel in your car (a. giving you really bad gas mileage. b. giving you possible too rich knock. c. giving you a flooding situation). Anytime you do new injectors, it is HIGHLY recommended to get tuned on the spot. If I were you, since the LSJ injectors are MUCH easier to install, get your parts put on besides the injectors, don't boost the 3.5 hours to get back where you are getting it tuned, then put the injectors in when you are tuning it. That is my suggestion, it will save you a big headache in the long run. You will be safe running those upgrades with the stock injectors as long as you don't boost it fully or hard.

Just remember, the computer doesn't know how big your injectors are, that's why you have to tune it, and with your GMS2 tune on there, it is saying to put out 90-100% IDC (injector duty cycle) with your 42# injectors, for x amount of ms's. now if you were to put in your 50# injectors, the computer is still going to say put out 90-100% IDC for x amount of ms's on those, those causing you to push more fuel than you need to run. Catch where I'm going here?

I know it's not a big difference from the 42# to the 50# injectors, but that difference is enough to possibly worry about.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thanks for the heads up I will do just that figuring injectors arent the hardest thing to install, Ill wait till I am at my spot. Just wish there was somone closer that wouldnt charge me up the A** to do the work. The shop I wanted to do it in wants to charge me $80 an hour and said it would take 5 to 6 hours to do the install of those parts then 550 for a custom tune... is that reasonable or should i stick with my orginal plan minus the injectors till i get to where im going?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should install parts yourself, find someone with hpt and save yourself hundreds of dollars
Yeah thats my thinking here, just the guy that is going to do my tune lives 3 hours away from me...Either way Im sure since he tunes Ill be able to install the injectors there..

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
$550 for a TUNE??? You've got to be kidding me!? I only charge $150 to tune! Most tuners are only $300 for a custom HPtuners tune. Yeah that's a rip off there. Ask on the forums of here as well as HP tuners to see if anyone can help you. I know there are tuners in Atlanta with HP tuners and they would be more than willing to help and charge you less for the tune.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Typically I've seen around $350 for two to three hours on a dyno and tuning around here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if I can find a HP tuner with and dyno close to Valdosta I would go for that.. Most the guys I have talked to can do it but its a street tune..Looking to stay on a dyno.. So if you know anyone in North Fl that would be great!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok another tuning ?....I am going to wait on the Injecters and pully. My ? is I already have a GM stage 2 tune after adding the header and catted DP do I need to tune it all over again? Will I still see gains even if I do not tune it after those add ons, or do I have to tuen it again?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
With the extra flow that you will have from your header and DP, you will see gains, but like Banker said, you won't see the full potential. With a little adjustment to your fuel and MAF tables, you will see the full gains.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so which one comes with everthing you need? Iknow ill have to get a bong welded into the DP. but where can i find the completel setup for one?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thx bro, Also I wanted to say that YC is a lot nicer to one another then SS I swear those guys just bash each other the Sh** gets retarded. thx for the help guys!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You know those Dbags that drive around in Skittles and Eclipses? SS is like the skittle club of cobalts!

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Banker and I were out drinking and met a guy that is on SS, what a tool. Didn't know a damn thing about his car but acted like he knew every aspect. Even talked like a tool!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so he was a craftsman? Yeah my problem is no one lives by me so no going out to have a beer with fellow CCSS

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
No, more like a japanese knock off! lol, you will find someone. I've contomplated flagging people down at gas stations, on the road. It usually happens when I'm not in my balt so it would be weird!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.